Anodizing has faded - Help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2001, 10:09 AM
Glenn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anodizing has faded - Help?

Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of restoring my 73 Targa and need some advise on some parts. I've got the fuchs sorted out, but am unsure of what I should do about the engine grill and the Targa emblem. They're both pretty faded.

Should I (can I) have them re-anodized black, or should I have them painted black. What are the pros and cons of going either way?

Thanks Glenn
Old 11-26-2001, 05:20 PM
cvfncrew
AutoX

Try SEM trim paint. It is a spray paint you can buy at a Auto Paint store. Worked great for me.
Old 11-28-2001, 10:48 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Powder coating is another approach. It looks great and lasts a long time.
Old 11-28-2001, 08:50 PM
steve911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Glenn-
If you're going to paint, suggest using Wurth Satin which (I believe) is the original paint used. talk to the guys at www.carcareonline.com for more in depth product knowledge - I've found they really know their stuff. I'm not affiliated with them, just satisfied customer.

fyi, for fuchs, they advised using Wurth Matt Lacquer - higher heat rating than the enamel.
Old 11-29-2001, 12:20 AM
kurtstarnes
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Glenn:

My '72 also has the faded deck letters and script, as well as a faded deck grill.

The correct color for these pieces is a very dark grey anodize.

The fresh air grill near the top of the bonnet is also the same dark grey anodize. If you are lucky, this fresh air grill may have retained the original color as mine has - you can use this piece as a sample for the color for the faded pieces if you chose to go the anodized route.

By virtue of the fresh air vent being on a verticle plane and avoiding alot of contact over the years, this piece many times retains the original color and finish.

Try a local yellow pages search on the Net and you should be able to locate a plating and anodizing shop in your town if the population is over 100k or so.

Good luck to you!

Regards,

Kurt
RLM#001216-2309

Quick Reply: Anodizing has faded - Help?