Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 02:11 PM
stay6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure

Yesterday as I was driving (sensibly) my '84 Carrera, I noticed the oil pressure was in the 3-4 range and would drop to 2 when I would stop. This car has 75K miles and 99% of the time the oil pressure is at the top of the gauge. I parked the car and spent about 8 hours at the golf course (27 holes), as it was a gorgeous day here in Texas, and when I drove the car back home (20 miles) all was fine with the oil pressure gauge. On startup it went to the top and only varied slightly when I stopped. Am I about to lose my oil pump or should I just duct tape over the gauge? kidding, Anyone else been through this? Thanks, Scott
Old 05-19-2008, 02:21 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

if 99% of the time your gauge is pegged, or close to it, then there is something wrong.
do some reading or wait for more info
Old 05-19-2008, 03:09 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Mine's usually 1 bar / 1k rpms, 84 Carrera, using 20-50 Brad Penn oil. "Cold" oil pressure will hit 4.5 bar, but once warm will struggle to hit 3.75 - 4 bar at 5k+ rpms. I have around 85.5k miles on her now, but it's been this way since 50k / my ownership.

Rule of thumb for detroit iron (as I've been taught it) is 10psi / 1k rpm. I figure at 4 bar, that's ~ 60 psi, so 6k at 60psi should be ok for me, even though I think mine's a little low for my liking.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:23 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

Mine has 136K, warm idle is about 1, cruising it gets to about 4.5K. I run Elf Excellium NF 5W40 (Now called Total Quartz Energy 9000)
Old 05-19-2008, 03:30 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by stay6
Yesterday as I was driving (sensibly) my '84 Carrera, I noticed the oil pressure was in the 3-4 range and would drop to 2 when I would stop. I parked the car and spent about 8 hours at the golf course (27 holes), as it was a gorgeous day here in Texas, and when I drove the car back home (20 miles) all was fine with the oil pressure gauge. On startup it went to the top and only varied slightly when I stopped. Am I about to lose my oil pump or should I just duct tape over the gauge?
I'm going to assume that your oil level is correct! I would be shocked if you have a problem with the pump, but it does sound like the sending unit for your gauge is dying/dead. Of course, there is a slight possibility that the gauge itself is having issues, but it sounds like a sender problem.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:46 PM
stay6
Intermediate

Thanks to all of you for your support. I'm going to the books.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:14 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

check your grounds
Old 05-19-2008, 07:08 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I originally had a metering issue (oil pressure), as to metering the exact ratio. Upon purchase (and somewhat unknowing at the time), I changed the oil pressure sender with a new one (actually, the P-Wrench did it) , changing the metering somewhat (minor)....replaced some of the wiring from sender to above fan area....no real changes.....as I just experienced an odo failure (and will be sending the instrument in to NH this week), I'm considering sending the pressure side instrument in, as well. First, I'll check the connections and see if I get changes..otherwise, I need confirmation that the instrument is functioning as designed.....no worries,..just lay out the cash, right? (((((yeah, right!!!!!!!)))))))

......but, will do.
I really need to verify wire resistence from the sensor back to destination,..copper needs to be healthy, eh?..

The goal here is to extract the reference stated here, as to RPM/Bar.

BTW: is this stated in the Porsche Factory Manuals, as such?

Thanks!!!

Quick Reply: oil pressure