Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

83 911sc won t start?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 10:45 AM
RogerDunham
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 83 911sc won t start?

OK I have no experience in working on this car but have been successful in following advice to repair my 99 911 . This car sits for a few months at a time without being started. For at least 5 years it has always started without fail after sitting. The battery is good and it seems to turn over once then not again(sometimes). The battery is charged and the gas tank is 3/4 full. It had an engine overall last year and was running fine when it was left . Any ideas on where to start?
Old 05-19-2008, 11:23 AM
BlackPearl
Racer

When I experience failed start or non-running issues I go all the way back to the beginning: Spark, fuel, compression. (My shop teacher in high school told me the most important elements of an internal-combustion engine are: "suck" [intake and fuel], "squeeze" [compression], "bang" [spark], "blow" [exhaust flow]. Always works for me.)

So, if I were under the decklid, I'd pull #1 sparkplug wire and check for spark (CAUTION: If you haven't done this check operation before, be careful, or don't do it yourself! This is high-output electricity and could be fatal if you come in contact with the spark or high-tension wire directly. Use good judgement here.) . No spark? Source it backwards. Could be a bad relay or fuse, could be bad ignition components.

Yes spark? Move on to fuel. Since the fuel systems are a tad more complicated than carberation, You may have to get your Haynes, Bentley, or Bosch manual out. I'd check feed from tank to fuel system first. What's the age/mileage on the fuel filter, BTW?

If I have spark and fuel, but no running, I then call the shop. For me, since time is money, I don't spend more than2 or 3 hours on something like this. I just don't have the time to spare.

Good Luck with it. ;-)
Old 05-19-2008, 11:44 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Please be more descriptive. Does it turn over? You mention you let it sit for months at a time, do you put sta-bil in the gas? Letting a 911 sit for months is not a good thing.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:02 PM
RogerDunham
2nd Gear

I think I was just do for some work as this 911 has been trouble free for almost 20 years. its always been very low mileage and has sat for a few months at a time. My guess is the engine overhaul (caused by a broken stud) probably damaged something . The engine doesn t turn over at all. Time to have it towed in.

Quick Reply: 83 911sc won t start?