Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Carpet Kits Pelican vs Automotion vs Appbiz vs Other?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carpet Kits Pelican vs Automotion vs Appbiz vs Other?

Which company do you suggest buying a carpet kit for my 1987 911 3.2? Appbiz has the best prices on domestic, but are there any big differences between pelican's set and appbiz's set? Is there a "gold standard" for these carpet kits? I was going to try to mimic the original taupe color with green trim but you can only get it if you get german silverknit and special order it. I would rather not pay 1100 dollars and just get the black domestic stuff, which should match decently well with my green black interior trim. After all, its just carpet, its not an engine part or anything. Anyways your help on where to buy from would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

what does domestic black cost. I'm thinking I'm going silverknit with my blue, but you may be right going to black with yours. you do have a black top. good luck with that job. It's a killer.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:49 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Doug so far the job has been pretty simple, its just a lot of removal and reassembly. I have everything except the old carpets out. I hear the only part that requires skill is the glue and taking out some leather parts. I think people who say silverknit is the only way to go are just fooling themselves, 800 just for the parts! Appbiz has dometic black for 319 dollars....pelican sells for 480....I have no idea what the difference is.

I have a green/black dash but I am afraid if I go to black the interior will be too dark since all the light tan carpet will be gone.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:36 PM
WitchDoctor
Racer

I bought new mats, front and back, for my 911 from Pelican. Nice quality mats, but the colour isn't the same. I thought about ordering another set, but it didn't look like there was a colour available that's any closer.

While I think more than with any other colour, you can say black is black is black. But, with a whole carpet, set, even more than with floor mats, you want to be sure the fit is going to be exact. Hold out a while longer here until you have certainty. It's a big savings in the offing, if it's good.

-Brent
Old 05-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Brent, I dont see what your point is. I am not just replacing the floor mats, EVERY piece of carpet will be torn out and redone. The reason I dont go tan or beige is because I cant find door pockets in those colors, but I can find door pocket carpeting in black. Also tan would look hideous. I dont think any shade of black would be bad as far as a match with my dash black color.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:37 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

928 leather sells carpet kits in Sliverknit for the 911 with all pieces, including the door pockets for $539. They can get all the OEM colors (at least I think all... I have a cork set on order)

http://928leathershop.com/Porschecarpetsets.html
Old 05-17-2008, 09:38 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

go domestic black. you live at the beach. it will alow you three full sets over the years at that price. you can't beat it at that price. what glue are you going to use?

gotta go drive mine now....
Old 05-17-2008, 10:23 PM
Oldtee
Pro

Have you ever noticed that you can only buy "sets" of carpet. Why wouldn't somebody just sell drivers side only. I'll bet the line would go out the door by people like me that have good carpet sets except for under my feetsies.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Pelican may be selling Appbiz or another manufacturer's kit, they don't manufacture carpet kits. I've bought some stuff from Appbiz, and have been pleased.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:26 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Its actually 640USD for the Silver Blue (I think thats my color) carpet for the Cabriolet. They charge 100 more for cabriolet models I think 319.00 for domestic is fine, hell if I hate it I can always change it a few years down the road.
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldtee
Have you ever noticed that you can only buy "sets" of carpet. Why wouldn't somebody just sell drivers side only. I'll bet the line would go out the door by people like me that have good carpet sets except for under my feetsies.
I think you'd find that at least some of the companies that actually make the sets will sell a single piece. Have you asked?
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Pelican may be selling Appbiz or another manufacturer's kit, they don't manufacture carpet kits. I've bought some stuff from Appbiz, and have been pleased.
Appbiz it is! Thanks for the reassurance, thats all I wanted. I just wanted to make sure appbiz sold quality stuff.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:23 AM
WitchDoctor
Racer

Sorry, Osh'

I mustah been drinking when I wrote that. I was just worried that a cheap carpet set might not fit exactly right.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:20 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Carpeting is hard work, so many screws, so much adhesive to be ripped off. Takes a lot out of you. I still havent figured out how to get the carpet out when the seatbelts are attached to it. Does anyone know if you have to remove the seatbelts (female parts)? If anyone knows a good adhesive to use when I put the new carpet on that would be nice info too.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Bob S
Instructor

Appbiz lists alot of their products on ebay....I just bought a set of RSA door panels for $209 from Appbiz, on ebay, they listed they same sets on their web site for $259... It may be worth a look, I think they also have carpets sets listed..

Bob

Quick Reply: Carpet Kits Pelican vs Automotion vs Appbiz vs Other?