Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Considering a '79 911SC - badge/authenticity question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 12:30 AM
AdamJay
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a '79 911SC - badge/authenticity question?

Hi all,

I'm a younger guy in NYC, and I've lusted after 911s since I was a kid. It's time to get one.

I'm looking for a 79 - 83 911 SC Targa, and I may have found one.

Pics attached.

It's being offered at $13,995 with 82k original miles on it. It got a new clutch in 03, and it was supposedly repainted 8 years ago.

I drove it today, and it felt great, but it's being sold by the owner of an autobody shop and I worry that they have have doctored it. As far as I know, all 1979 Targas should have "911SC" as a badge on the back of it, but this particularly car as "Carrera" on the back.

Could anyone tell me if indeed this is a sign the car's authenticity has been compromised?

Many thanks for any help! Also, I'm open to leads on cars on the East Coast that match my specs.

-Adam
Attached Images   
Old 05-14-2008, 01:22 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Adam, welcome to rennlist. A couple of things stand out about that car that tell us it isn't exactly as it was when it rolled off the line. First would be the tail with no chin spoiler. Second the Carerra badge. Third the amber corners. Fourth the rock guards. none of them disqualify the car. Check it out. Buy Peter Zimmermann's book "the used 911 story". It's the book we all go by and is a great read. Good luck. Sorry I gotta go get kids to bed.......
Old 05-14-2008, 01:12 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Adam: The pics aren't nearly good enough to evaluate the car, but douglas' comments are right on the money. The rock guards are applied to the rear flares more often to make people think that the car's a Turbo, rather than to protect the paint. The whale tail rear spoiler was obviously taken from a Carrera, and might be original paint because of the Carrera badge. To add a rear spoiler without a front one is technically incorrect, but at slower speeds will not impact handling. Interstate motoring above 80 mph, on the other hand, is not recommended until a front "chin spoiler" is installed. The amber rear T/S lenses (originally Euro application) are OK, I have those on my '82 and they're a personal choice item.

Buying a car from a body shop always carries with it an element of risk. Arrange for a professional Pre Purchase Inspection, including cylinder head stud inspection, BEFORE investing one penny in the car.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:13 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Also, here's some reading material for you...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ter+Zimmermann
Old 05-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Did I spell Carrera wrong again?
Old 05-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Swapping the 911 SC for the Carrera badge was somewhat common back in the 1980's. I guess its an ego thing for some people but I really would not read anything into that. As has already been mentioned thats a Carrera tail and therefore the whole rear deck lid, tail and all may have been swapped at some point.

A good PPI should tell you a lot about the body panels and the mechanicals

Quick Reply: Considering a '79 911SC - badge/authenticity question?