Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Engine Swap Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 11:18 PM
az9oneone
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Swap Electrical Issue

I transplanted a '78sc engine into my '76 911. The problem I have is that the first time that I turned the key the dashboard lights did not illuminate and smoke came from the engine bay. I quickly turned off the ignition and went to the engine. There was a small amount of smoke coming from the alternator area. I pulled the fan/alternator unit out enough to take a look and noticed that there was 4 or 5 wire connections. My old 2.7L engine had a alternator with 3 connections. My question is... did the transplanted sc engine have an alternator with a internal voltage regulator? And if so, did I damage it by hooking it up to my car with an external regulator? Could this cause my dashboard lights not to illuminate? Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:18 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,142 Likes on 816 Posts

the 78 had an external regulator like your 76, unless it was updated. but if that was the case it should not make a difference can you see if it physically has a regulator on the newere style alternator . ? , the original has a single spade fitting for the brushes.

When it comes to electrical all bets are off.. anything could do anything. This one is gonna be tricky !

sorry about the typing , lots of beer

Quick Reply: Engine Swap Electrical Issue