Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Engine wont shut down..need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 11:29 PM
dsmyth
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine wont shut down..need suggestions

When you turn the key off everything keeps running except the speedo(if you do it on the move)and the radio. All other guages continue to work. If you stop the engine by pulling the DME relay (dont worry I only do this when parked) the alternater and oil light stay lit. If you disconnect the battery they go out and do not come back on when you reconnect the battery. Then everything is ok until you you try to turn it off again. Its a low mileage 85 911.
So far I have replaced the electrical ignition barrel behind the key and disconnected the alternator light to verify the diode is not the culpret.

The problem was noticed on and off for a few days with the engine shutting down 30 seconds or so after the key had been removed on two occasions. Now the problem is consistant, it wont shut down. The key/ignition movement seem normal and steering lock works.

I'm weak on the electrical side and this has me stumped. Any suggestions. thanks Doug
Old 05-06-2008, 01:16 PM
dsmyth
Rennlist Member

I just discovered that if you pull the plug from the back of the key socket the car continues to run. Would that be normal??
Old 05-06-2008, 02:08 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Look for aftermarket add-on's and remove the power from them.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:13 PM
dsmyth
Rennlist Member

heres the latest ...I worked with an auto electrician today and he told me that if the car turned off with the fan belt disconected to the alternator then the diode is burnt out. The car turned off like it should with the belt disconnected so he replaced the diode behind the guage for the alternator light. I was sure we had found the problem being the burnt diode. It worked properly for ten minuites then would not turn off again when the key was removed.?????
This time when I pulled the DME relay to stop the car only the oil light was left running and the alternator light went out. We retested the diode and it did not fry???. He tested the alternator and said it was running perfectly without any shorts. We again tried running with the fan belt off and this time it would not shut off as it had before?????When I disconnected the battery temporarily the oil light went out and stayed out on reconnection.
Could all this be caused by a DME relay in the first place that also caused the first diode for the alternator to also blow??? This makes no sence to me any longer Help!! Doug

Quick Reply: Engine wont shut down..need suggestions