Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Camber Bar Installation -- quick question

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 05:51 PM
Michael H
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Camber Bar Installation -- quick question

I had a camber bar installed recently and was surprised to see that the bar was not attached directly to the top of the strut towers, but rather was attached near them and bolted into the metal. Is this a normal set-up for some bars or do I need to have a discussion with the mechanic. This was done by a reputable independent with a ton of experience in racing ...

thanks
Old 12-09-2002, 07:09 PM
marc 1xx1
Instructor

Michael:

The set-ups vary by manufacturer.

Mine is a "Camber Truss", it uses one of the bolts at the top strut mount for the fixed bar. The 'cross bars' mount under the strut and triangulate to a mounting plate that mounts atop the smugglers box.

You can check the manufacturers web site (this is the site for camber truss <a href="http://www.stableenergies.com/stable/camber.html" target="_blank">http://www.stableenergies.com/stable/camber.html</a> )I am sure that they must have directions or a photo of a typical installation.

The installation sounds fine.

marc
Old 12-09-2002, 09:08 PM
aquabat911
Instructor

Mike,
how do you like your camber truss, i have been considering getting one, and they sound even better now that they come in aluminum. It just seems like a mcuh better idea to have a triangulatd truss rather that just a bar. TIA
Old 12-09-2002, 11:30 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
I have a combination of the (lower) triangulated pieces from the Camber Truss and the main crosspiece from the Weltmeister strut brace. The cool thing about the Weltmeister is that it goes around the insert bolt, with a big washer, and functions kind of like a poor man's monoball. But it doesn't have the triangulated support.

So I combined both.

If I had to do it over, though, I might go with the elephantracing.com aluminum triangulated model, which is a nice design and carries a lot less weight than the steel pieces I have.
Old 12-10-2002, 05:08 AM
Michael H
Intermediate

Thanks for the feedback.

Aquabat911, I added turbo tie rods along with the (adjustable) camber bar and really feel the improvement in steering and stability -- not sure which mod has contributed the most.

Quick Reply: Camber Bar Installation -- quick question