Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Front sway bar choices?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 02:40 PM
Roamer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Front sway bar choices?

I am looking for some suggestions on a front sway bar for my 86 Carrera. From what I understand the rear 22 is a good choice but the front 22mm is too large leading to the pronounce understeer. I would prefer to go with a fixed unit as I have no real desire to "tune" the car with adjustables. For my purposes, a consistent car is all I need.

Any suggestions on sizes and sources would be greatly appreciated as always.

Thanks.
Old 10-08-2002, 05:18 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Roamer:
<strong>I am looking for some suggestions on a front sway bar for my 86 Carrera. From what I understand the rear 22 is a good choice but the front 22mm is too large leading to the pronounce understeer. I would prefer to go with a fixed unit as I have no real desire to "tune" the car with adjustables. For my purposes, a consistent car is all I need.

Any suggestions on sizes and sources would be greatly appreciated as always.

Thanks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hi Roamer:

Well Sir,.......I would suggest that the only effective way you will reduce the understeer you are having is buy installing and using adjustable swaybars at both ends of the car.

You can lessen the "push" somewhat with different alignment settings, but that has negative effects on tire wear and straight line stability.

The proper way to do this is by increasing front & rear spring rates and adding adjustable swaybars so you will be able to change the lateral weight transfer at each end of the car, independently.

This might not be what you wanted to hear, but this is the way to accomplish what you are trying to do,...
Old 10-08-2002, 10:43 AM
Roamer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As always Steve, I can expect an honest answer from you. Do you have any reccomendations on a supplier, yourself included? I know that weltmeister makes a set and Racer's Group sells one, do you have any preferences?

Thanks again,
Marc

Quick Reply: Front sway bar choices?