Fuel Adjustment, '84 3.2L w/ Weltmeister Chip - Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 08:23 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Adjustment, '84 3.2L w/ Weltmeister Chip - Dyno Results

Ok, so while the car was at the shop for some tweaking / issues after clutch / trans rebuild, etc., the shop owner offers to tweak the fuel (under the seat) for some "free hp". Well, I'm all for free hp, but I wanted to make sure the air/fuel was going to be ok too. So, as I know the dyno owner, I give him a call to see if he can slip me into the schedule, & off I go. In the bay was a turbo'd Scion Tc, with some issues, but still making ~210 to the wheels @ 9psi, not shabby, but about 40 wheel ponies shy of expected.

Anyway, so here's the scoop:
86k miles, 3.2L, Fabspeed Cat Bypass, Fabspeed Muffler bypass, new Sachs Power Clutch, Cone Filter, Brad Penn 20-50, Magnecor wires, stock Bosch plugs, about uh, 7k miles / 8-10 months since valve adjust / tune up. 93 Shell / 10% Ethanol.

Dynorun 002 (red), 2004, 50k miles, as purchased, Weltmeister Chip, stock airbox, orig. cat & muffler (no real change after airbox to cone change, or cat / stock muffler to fabspeed cat & muffler bypass on other older runs, FYI). PRE-10% ETHANOL PREMIUM FUEL.

Dynorun 007 (blue), 2007, ~70k-75k miles, 10% Ethanol Fuel, Cone, M&K Exhaust, orig. fuel setting

Dynorun 011 (green), 2008, ~86k miles, as mentioned above.

I have noticed that since the change, I have more part-throttle / throttle let-off exhaust popping with the open exhaust than before, driveability is ok, no real issues I can speak of so far.

Thoughts, comments, notes?
Old 05-03-2008, 11:16 PM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

There isn't any "Free" Lunch. Get a Steve Wong Chip. Much discussed. See the
archives and do a search. I think it's www.911chip.com
Regards,
Steve
Old 05-04-2008, 12:59 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey, they named the town after me!

did I tell you I drove around topless while the sun set for an hour tonight? Glorious!
Old 05-04-2008, 01:46 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What did he "tweak" under the seat?
Old 05-04-2008, 10:51 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Steve -
Yes, I understand about the SW Chip, and it's been on my list forever. My POINT (& Query) was to do about the fuel adjustment, seeing the air/fuel remaining largely unchanged, and yet seeing more real estate under the tq & power graphs.

Douglas -
There is even a statue of you in the town common!

DShepp -
Honestly, I don't know, he had a small screwdriver & mentioned going "1-2 clicks over" I think this is a fuel quality multi-position switch, I think I've read about that here somewhere... looking now...

EDIT:|
Here is the info: http://www.911chips.com/fuelsys.html

Fuel adjustment inside the DME itself. Well, now that's something I'm a little more concerned with... aftermarket chip + DME fuel & timing adjust. Ugh. Well maybe that's one way to drum up business - blow some rings up. I jest, I jest, kind of...

Last edited by 84_Carrera; 05-04-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:04 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Update, spoke with the mech, he assures me I'm at setting 2 right now on the DME switch, +6% fuel, 0 timing adjustment.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:31 PM
scarceller
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fred,

I'm also in RI Portsmouth. I have an 84 Carrera with:
Euro Engine
WebCams 20/21
Honed & Flowed intake
SSIs
M&K 2in2out

I burn my own chips and have a full Wideband O2 logging system installed that records:
AFR
RPM
Air Flow Meter signal
WOT switch

I also had much popping on coming off decel and back onto the throttle. I fixed this by reducing fuel in the part throttle map 8% part of the matrix. Basically for me I was getting popping when I get back on the gas after decel and this was because the part throttle map was actually to rich in the low load 8% part of the map.

Now, from your dyno run it's hard to tell what the AFR change was after the FQS was moved to +6%. Can you actually see that the AFR dropped as compared to the blue run? Hard to tell. But you can see more HP that's for sure. Also keep in mind the new Green run was done at diffrent time than the others and even environmental temp/heat and humidity could be the reason for the HP change as well. Would be nice to see 2 side by side runs on the same day with the FQS in stock pos vs the +6% fuel position.

But no matter the case you do seem to have more HP and that's great.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:05 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Barely richer at 4550 rpms-on, slightly leaner prior to that.

I think I'm ok at WOT with the setup, but the part-throttle (especially light-part while in traffic) is affected with more popping than before.

These runs are shown corrected (saw the correction factor for each), but yes, I do completely agree about doing them all on the same day if possible.

Larger JPG version of the graph uploaded at: http://www.sinclairmfg.com/fred/911_...2008-05-03.jpg

Quick Reply: Fuel Adjustment, '84 3.2L w/ Weltmeister Chip - Dyno Results