Very Hot A/C fan Knob - 84 Targa

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002 | 11:20 AM
exitspeed
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Very Hot A/C fan **** - 84 Targa

I am trying again.

My a/c fan control **** is extremely hot to the touch after the system has been running. Currently the system is blowing only semi-cool air.

Also - when I engage the system I do knot hear an audible click as the clutch engages, however, I do hear the engine change rmp for a moment. Is this an indication that the clutch may not be working?

Thank you
Old 10-07-2002 | 02:35 PM
Mike Scott
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the **** is really that hot, then something's wrong. I'd advise not running the AC until you fix it. Sounds like there may be some corrosion in the switch causing some resistance, resulting in the heat. If you can get to it, try spraying some electrical contact cleaner into the body of the switch while rotating the **** back and forth. Make sure that there is no power to the switch when you do this and try not to get the contact cleaner on any plastic surfaces.

As to the clutch, if the rpms decrease when you turn on the AC, the clutch is probably engaging. You can see for yourself by observing the clutch before and after you turn on the AC with the engine running. The center of the clutch is stationary with the AC off and turns with the pulley when the AC is on (at least it does on my car).
Old 10-07-2002 | 04:12 PM
Trak Ratt
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Had similar symptoms w/our ’87. Turned out to be a bad bearing in the front fan. But I’d check the whole system.

Quick Reply: Very Hot A/C fan Knob - 84 Targa