Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Magnecor Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnecor Question

Any advantage to using Magnecor wires (other than they cost 1/2 that of the Porsche branded)?

Any disadvantage?

Anyone buy the Beru aftermarket or just use the Porsche Branded? Are they the same?

Thanks in Advance

Brad 83 SC
Old 04-28-2008, 03:03 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I believe firmly in Porsche's decision to use the braided/grounded wire sets for CIS equipped cars. Beru kits should be the same as those supplied by your P-car dealer, they're beautifully made and install properly.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

Thanks Pete.

Brad
Old 04-28-2008, 04:18 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

Pete, are the $225 dollar Beru set the same as the $500 Genuine Porsche set? Is this a case of a 50% markup due to what name is on the box? both are made by Beru I believe...
Old 04-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

I've always used the "Beru" sets - we did not buy sets from Porsche even when they were only $40 more. We used to check the connectors (black ones used on '85> Carreras) and the ends at the cap - they were always perfect and were fitted with the correct wire anchors. Unless something's changed I don't see a problem...
Old 04-28-2008, 04:25 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

Great. Thanks.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:00 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

Mine look original. Is this something I should put on my to do list?
Old 04-28-2008, 07:14 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brads911sc
Any advantage to using Magnecor wires (other than they cost 1/2 that of the Porsche branded)?

Any disadvantage?

Anyone buy the Beru aftermarket or just use the Porsche Branded? Are they the same?

Thanks in Advance

Brad 83 SC

I have the Magnecors on my '84. You can't use the oem wire looms, FWIW. Other than that, I've had no issues in a year (so far, knock on wood).
Old 04-28-2008, 07:25 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Fred: The braided wires only apply to CIS cars, they offer a hefty amount of airbox protection...
Old 04-28-2008, 08:04 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

As I've posted over on Rennlist not that long ago, I kept having the OEM resistor connectors go. I had replaced 3 over the years, with 3 to go. I decided to give up on them and bought the Magnecors. They worked fine and snapped on well. Never did like the bright color though. Then I had a long problem trying to get my car running right. Pete helped from afar through it all, for which I am of course eternally grateful. During the many attempts to figure out what was wrong, I did change from the Magnecors to the new factory OEM wires, which I got from Performance Products. Well, first, let me say it did not fix the problem I was then having. But, second, let me say that the product is an absolutely beautiful, solid work of craftsmanship. It's not just a name on it. You can really see why they cost more.

You will still get a lot of people who will tell you it wasn't necessary, despite the fact that Porsche used it on all its CIS cars. They may be right, they may be wrong. But, given the quality of it, I don't for a second feel I overpaid, not a second.

Finally, one thing I did learn is that the early Beru connectors, the ones that screw down the center of the cables, do tend to go bad. But, the newer style, on the set I bought which are crimped on, do not.

If there is one complaint, the Magnecors big head on the connectors do help center the connector against the fins and find the spark plug better, while the smaller OEM ones are sometimes hard to align onto the tip of the spark plug. But, the new OEM Berus have a much more solid snap on. In fact, the snap on is so solid, I initially mistook the light initial click as being on. So, if you get them, remember you really have to push hard. I wonder if that bigger Magnecor head causes any reduced airflow in there and any heat spots as a result.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:46 PM
gtc
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be surprised if the jackets on my Magnecors don't last longer than the OEM Beru wires I had previously.
I can understand if someone wants to keep their engine looking original. However, if like me you don't mind having red ignition wires, I think the high quality construction of the Magnecor wires is very hard to overlook.
I think it's also worth noting that Magnecors come in three colors:
Black = 7mm
Blue = 8mm
Red = 8.5 and 10mm
Edit: Your supplier should be able to order any fitment in any size wire. I ordered mine from Apex Performance, and would not hesitate to order from them again.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:43 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

Jay.. Did you buy the Porsche branded or Beru Aftermarket?

GTC/Fred, I have a CIS car... Im going to trust Pete on this and stick with what he recommends...

Thanks for all the insight..

Brad
83 SC
Old 04-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

I do not believe it was Porsche branded. In fact, I'm 99.9% sure it was not. I remember keeping the bag because it was neat too. I can check later tonight when I get home from work if you want.

By the way, EVERYTHING comes with, even down to the original rubber wire holders that snap down in various spots.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Naitove
Instructor

I replaced my originals with Magnecors about 4 years ago and haven't looked back.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Magnecor Question