Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Advice on actual dropping of motor and tranny

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002 | 09:34 AM
David0514
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Advice on actual dropping of motor and tranny

I have come to the stage where I am ready to the drop the motor in my 77 911 Carrera (ROW). I have disconnected everything, it's just time to drop. Any advice to prevent me doing some serious damage in the drop? How many people are ideal to help? How many jacks? I also did not remove the main arm assembly on the tranny. Is this a must? I do not see why. Any advice appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 12-10-2002 | 10:37 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Exclamation

Whoa David!

Dropping the motor is a figurative term!

I've alway's used a large floor jack and a stout peice of 3/4" plywood just wide enough for the heat exchangers to sit on and deep enough to go from the back of the motor to the end of the exhaust. Get the car up high enough to get the jack underneath and take up the weight of the assembly, remove the four mounting bolts and let the whole thing down slowly. If you have the car up about 30" or so depending on the height of your jack, the whole thing should roll out the back.

Did you disconnect ALL the electrics, fuel,oil, shift linkage, clutch linkage, half shafts and ground straps? Oh yea, once you have the half shafts loose put plastic bags over the ends and tie them up and out of the way or you could get konked on the head. The crossmember stay's on the tranny. After it's loose lower it partway down and look for anything you forgot to disconnect, otherwise you could rip a wire or something.

If this is your first time having a second pair of hands is a good idea.

Have fun,
Old 12-10-2002 | 10:51 PM
Jim Richards
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Check this out, David:

<a href="http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70968" target="_blank">LeSchander Engine Drop...Follow up</a>

This engine drop was easy using this jack/pallet setup, along with a regular hydraulic floor jack to raise / lower the car. We used this same setup to do the engine swap on marcesq's car (2.7 --&gt; 3.2). We usually had six or eight people for these engine drops. It only takes a couple, but it's a nice social event. and everyone is happy to offer advice between sips of beer. Good luck on yours!

Regards,

Quick Reply: Advice on actual dropping of motor and tranny