Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

oil lleak into heat exchangers

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2002, 07:30 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts
Question oil lleak into heat exchangers

I have an oil leak into my heat exchangers so bad that smoke comes into my cabin when the car is running from oil buildup in the heat exchangers over time. Where might this oil leak be coming from and would this be a very easy fix for a home mechanic?

thanks,
Joseph
68 911
Old 10-07-2002, 03:15 PM
rick g
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this could be many things.

first, safely jack up and secure the rear of the car. wipe off all of the oil you can from the engine and heat exchangers. you may need to use a degreaser, but as long as you can reasonably clean off the underside of the car, you'll be OK.

second, start the engine and let it idle watching for the first sign of oil dripping. once you see the drip, turn off the engine and try to find where the drip actually started from. keep in mind that the source of oil leaks are often difficult to accurately diagnose since they often start at point A, and end up ap point B.

i'd check the lower valve cover gaskets and oil return tubes first. they are common sources of leaks. depending on what side you're getting the leak, i'd also check the oil lines near the oil tank.
Old 10-07-2002, 08:32 PM
Bugman
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a problem with the same! if it on the right side towards the fire wall. I may have the solution.

jldesigner@hotmail.com
email me if it is!
Old 10-07-2002, 08:58 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
Hi Joseph...

Rick g is exactly right with the process to determine where the leak is coming from - as well as some of the things that can begin to leak. As well - take a look at which heat exchanger is getting soaked. If it's the right hand side towards the front - then there are two things specificially..

The oil cooler seals and the pressure switch (the oil cooler is under the shroud - but pretty easy to access with the car on stands). The switch is notorious for leaking - as it's a crimped metal body shell which begins to leak with age. That is located on top of the engine - slight right - near the engine tin at the firewall. Again - a pretty simple fix once you can get a wrench on it. (the trick is getting to it with a wrench - and ease is determined on whether you have MFI, Webers or CIS If your '68 still has Webers - it should be a snap! )...

Oh - and when either begins to leak - the cars behind you will think you are spraying for mosquito and insect control.. Yea - it's pretty bad!!!

Quick Reply: oil lleak into heat exchangers