Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need Targa window help

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 07:03 PM
on-air
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Targa window help

I've done a couple of searches on this topic but still haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.

I have a '78 Targa with manual window cranks. The drivers side window recently began having an issue when rolling it up. It would get almost to the top and then stop about half an inch from the top, a little extra effort on the handle would result in a 'clunk' but then the window got to the top.

I had something like that happen a few years ago with the passenger side window/crank and it turned out to be a broken regulator pivot. So I assumed it was the same thing happening on the the drivers side this time and I wanted to correct it before the pin left me with a totally inoperable window.

I took out the regulator and ordered a brand new regulator and installed it. That all went in fairly well, (with only a few four letter words uttered). Fortunately the previous owner had already done the modifications needed to the door to fit in the 3 arm style regulator so the new one bolted right into place just like the one I took out.

Here's the problem: the hard 'clunk' is still there when it gets near the top, and with the new install, I'm having problems finding all the places to adjust the height of the window as it doens't go as high as it used to. The Haynes manual I have isn't too informative on the subject.

The auto-stop adjustment on the regulator itself is all the way to the end so it has no more room to go there. Are there other adjustment points or places for getting the window all the way to the top? (its got about a quarter inch to go)

and any ideas where the 'clunk' is coming from and how to fix it?

thanks
Old 04-22-2008, 07:40 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Is the window glass loose from the mech. below it? Can you pull it up into the place it should be? Perhaps the glass has just fallen deeper into the holder that lifts it up? Welcome to posting....
Old 04-22-2008, 10:06 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

also do oyu have the stop screw adjusted correctly at the top of the door . also is the front window piece stopping it from going up smoothly ?
Old 04-23-2008, 08:42 PM
on-air
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Both good suggestions. Was able to do some further adjusting on the stop screw at the top of the door and that fixed it. yeah... just in time for some spring top down driving.

Quick Reply: Need Targa window help