Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Started the valve adjust

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 12:46 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ice, congratulations for a job that is not as easy as it reads or looks. I took my son thru the process in September, money in the bank.

Peter-- Re: flow of glass (the liquid), wonder is older car glass was better with any/ less flow.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Rice
Instructor

Ice, great job. I am thinking about doing a valve adjustment and am starting to read about them. It sounds complicated.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:15 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Rice
Ice, great job. I am thinking about doing a valve adjustment and am starting to read about them. It sounds complicated.
It's not. It's simple....pay someone 300-500 or do it yourself.

Actually the steps are rather straightforward, it's just the setting the exact gap that can be a bit of a trial and error thing. But fear not, the people of rennlist are here to help!

-matt
Old 06-17-2008, 08:07 AM
Rice
Instructor

Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:40 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

buy the tool. My first go thru took all day trying to worm an entire set of shims arould in there. My second time I had the little tool that just holds a small 3/4" x 3/4" chunk of .004 shim. So much better.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:02 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rice
Thanks for the encouragement.
There are many people on this forum more knowledgable than me... but I'd be glad to give you some pointers when you get ready to do it. Just send me a pm.

I had never adjusted a valve on ANYTHING before I tore into my 911. And I managed to do the job. You can do it.

I have a few suggestions:
1) listen to Doug Bray and buy the tool and a whole bunch of replacement blades. Once the blade gets jabborwockied... it's useless and you cannot tell if you've got the gap right
2) FORGET THE WHOLE 'BACKSIDE' METHOD!!! Maybe I just don't get it, I wasted booku time trying to make that work and never could... and for a first-timer, I'd say don't complicate things with this.
3) you must break the oil-suction seal to release the "elephant foot" from the end of the valve stem before you can insert the feeler gauge. It's a simple step and probably obvious to everyone else... but no one told me and I spent about 1 hour on the first valve trying to figure out why the adjustment nut was as loose as it would go and the gap was nonexistent. It's little stuff like this that Rennlisters can warn you about and make your life easy.

Now... GO FOR IT! It's a rewarding job.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:15 PM
sig_a
Pro

Back side method is a great way to check your work after you adjust the conventional way. Especially helpful on cylinder 3 and 6. For first timers it is a great help.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:27 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Originally Posted by sig_a
Back side method is a great way to check your work after you adjust the conventional way. Especially helpful on cylinder 3 and 6. For first timers it is a great help.
Honestly, I found it as a hinderence, I thought it was great at first after reading so many great posts on it. I did it twice, found it to be a pain. Then I did it the normal way...I thought it was a lot simpler and better.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:38 PM
redtdi96
Instructor

Gaskets - dry. New nylok nuts & high quality sealing washers (dull gray, not shiny silver). Torque = 18 lb/ft. after snugging them all by hand with 3/8" drive tools.
Is this 18ft -lbs for the valve covers? I seem to remember it was about 6ft-lbs from a Pelican tech article
Old 06-18-2008, 10:50 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Originally Posted by redtdi96
Is this 18ft -lbs for the valve covers? I seem to remember it was about 6ft-lbs from a Pelican tech article
Who knows, who cares. I do it by hand and it never leaks.

Wait till people on the internet find out that washers are actually one sided and must be placed facing the right way up.

To be honest, I don't have a torque wrench that has the ability to do 6 and 18 ft-lbs accurately so I just guess it by hand with a normal wrench. Is it the right thing to do? Well, apparently not. Have my covers leaked? Not that I have ever noticed.

-matt
Old 06-18-2008, 11:06 PM
sig_a
Pro

I found the special feeler gauge more difficult than a straight blade craftsman. Back side method does add additional effort for sure, but for me it was a way to check each cylinder after first setting each the conventional way. Firm valve cover fasteners and clean gasket surface works for me.

Quick Reply: Started the valve adjust