Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 05:33 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Iceman,

I rooting for you !!
Keep the doors closed and the wheels chocked

I will be attempting my 1st valve adjustment in about 6,000 miles (April 2010)

John
Old 04-22-2008, 06:10 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just take your time, Clive. I did my numerous times (3 or 4) over the course of a month before I was happy. I failed miserably at the footie method & ended up acing it with the backside method.

Since I was in there so frequently, I re-used gaskets & the nylocks. If you are really nice to them, you can reuse them several times. But don't tell anybody.

For a redo, you can also just tip the car to save the oil & just do one side at a time.

But then you won't have to know all of this since you'll get it right the 1st time . . .

Ian
Old 04-22-2008, 10:10 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,134 Likes on 810 Posts

got all the valve covers off and cleaned up . tomorrow I will start the adjustments. It is very quiet right now so I am hoping I check them and they are fine.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:14 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I had the benifit of not having the cat in the way when doing mine.

the best thing that I did was buy some 1/2 in thick 24 x 24 foam pads to neal on and lie down on. I think they were for kids to play on, but they work great for saving the knees.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:27 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flat and true valve covers-- there is a flat machinist stone block which is handy to have or you can use a medium size glass (always flat) window pane over a blanket on a flat concrete floor. Use medium grit cloth backed sanding sheet. Press lightly on the glass, hard as you like on the stone and rotate the cover in small increments 90 degrees with a back and forth sanding motion(as many times as you need). This will evenly sand the surface to flat. When all of the surface is the same color you can go to a lighter grit for a finer finish. I only use the medium.

I have had really good luck with a red rubber type valve cover gasket. They are sold by at least one popular Porsche parts vendor. I have used several sets on 2 cars made by another manufacture and have never had a leak and they can be reused and they do not stick and have to be scraped off-- price is good. Pm me if you need contact #.

I hope Pete will look at this and clue us in-- the feet seem to fall to one side so that there is a gap on one side and no gap at the other side. and you have to use a light to see which way they sit for the gap and insert the feeler in the gap to make it easier. I hope there is an easier way to get the feeler in. I seem to think it is too tight and then after messing with it for a bit get it in and the feeler moves between the foot and valve with a slight resistance which is just right. Got to be a easier way. Pete-- Peter??
Old 04-23-2008, 12:08 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

hmmmmm
Old 04-23-2008, 10:28 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Jake I will try to sand flat again .. although I am not covinced glass is always flat,, it is after all a liquid :-). I think my problem may be a leak somewhere else That is going to the lower most spot and making it look like the valve covers. I think I may have a leak at the base of the cylinders which IMO is not worth worying about for a few drops. As it means major tear down.

I like the idea of the read valve gaskets though . I have green ones right now. Think I iwll use those up and pick up the reds while in California next.

Thanks
Old 04-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

California! Why would you want to go there? Pelican has an 800 number.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:32 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

cause shipping over the border is a pain ... and hardly worth it. There pick up place is liike ten mins from the airport and I can swing by there easy enough
Old 04-23-2008, 02:04 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

One additional question. When the rensioners were installed the feed line was tightend in the wrong position and stopped me from geting the passenger sidde upper cover off. I lossened it and of course oil came out. I have 2 new crush washer but do i have to do anything else > will the tensioner still be primed ? I think so but just wanted to ask as there seems to be no " return " line. how does this work ?
Old 04-23-2008, 03:16 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
One additional question. When the rensioners were installed the feed line was tightend in the wrong position and stopped me from geting the passenger sidde upper cover off. I lossened it and of course oil came out. I have 2 new crush washer but do i have to do anything else > will the tensioner still be primed ? I think so but just wanted to ask as there seems to be no " return " line. how does this work ?
Don't worry about the tensioner, even after cam oil line (what you call the feed line) replacement the tensioner gets oil instantly. Before you re-tighten the outboard end of your oil line be sure that the fitting the oil line bolt screws into is tight in the cam housing.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:24 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Wll do. Thanks Pete ..
Old 04-23-2008, 04:52 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by theiceman
cause shipping over the border is a pain ... and hardly worth it. There pick up place is liike ten mins from the airport and I can swing by there easy enough
Ice, make sure they know you are coming. They do not have walk in service. AND the wearhouse is in San Francisco not L.A. I called them asked if they had will call and was told yes. Well, I got to El Segundo to find it a small industrial unit with a 4'x6' front office I had to be buzzed into. They do stock a fiew things in El Segundo (LA) but not much. Just call ahead and they will have it ready for you. I'm guessing you are going to be here anyway? How long will you be here? Any way ....
Old 04-23-2008, 05:25 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Yeah no kidding Doug I learned the hard way.. about the will call "room" . Actually I just got back . Our head office is in Fullerton but Air Canada only flys into LAX. I don't comlain. I actually just got back last week and will not be heading outagin for another 3 months or so .

Thanks
Old 04-23-2008, 05:34 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Default Just cause I love posting pics

and someone ususally spots something for me to do .. I know I have a lot of clean up work .. don't worry Pete no gratuitous Pics of brightly coloured painted parts.. which reminds me , I need to touch up my vice ..... hmmm..

Last edited by theiceman; 01-09-2013 at 10:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Started the valve adjust