Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Help wife is spending my Porsche budget on this vacation spot! / Motor smell update

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 12:42 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

It's genetic - resistance is futile.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:49 PM
MDL
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The answer is really very simple. Would rather sleep with your wife or your car...think about it.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:04 PM
madmmac
Instructor

With close to 2,500 posts in a little over a year you better go on a vacation with your wife. Don't take your laptop either!!!
Old 04-18-2008, 01:27 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

For months now I have been hiding something. It's been eating away at me. I loose sleep, I look for distraction, and most of all I morn the loss of what was a great car. In short order I made several changes to my car. I did a chip, cat by-pass, and O2 sensor. The car sounded great and went down the road great. After the Valve adjustment and plugs and plug wires it was like driving a new super car. There was still something eating at me. When I stopped the car at a light or when I was just getting in it, it smelled horrific. I was getting sick from it. I saw smoke a couple times when I was following my brother driving it and I was sure it was valve guides. The only problem with that idea is that I haven't been adding oil between changes so It isn't burning that much. Only one guy has been privi to all of this and that is Pete. He has talked me thru several really depressing times. With his advice I changed out my chip this morning and the smell was gone. I drove the kids to school it it and just backing it out of the shed I couldn't stand the smell. After the chip swap I drove it around the block and didn't smell a thing. I put my nose right at the pipe and nothing. No smell other that that old refreshing smell of horse power. Please don't turn this into a chip bashing party. The chip may not be the only issue that is going on. This is a car that never went back to the dealer for service after purchase (by an old college professor at Ohio State) and may have never ever ever had an ounce of work since. Thank you guys for being there for me. When Pete says it, you guys should really listen. I could see what has been a five year run of Island hopping with my wife of 18 years turn into a full on rebuild and no vacation for years to come. Please be nice guys.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:59 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Douglas - I hate to tell you this - but my car did EXACTLY the same thing. I did the same modifications - I had the same occasional smoke and smell. I changed back to the stock chip - and even put on the cat again. It cleared up for awhile. Didn't quite have the initial thrust of speed without the chip. My oil usage was at 1100 miles per qt - so couldn't have been valve guides (engine had 53K at the time) right???? then after two consecutive DE's (and one of my fellow drivers saying he saw a puff on decelration) my oil consumption went from 1100 to 800 to 400 all within the course of 3 months. (yes, I do drive my car hard)

Decided to crack her open - and sure enough - 6 new valves the throats were VERY worn - ALL the guides are worn beyond spec - and per john and EBS - very tired springs (all that sloshing around with the valves).

I hope that's not the case with you - but just wanted to share my experience.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:28 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I may still have an issue. I have been told to look at the O2 sensor and Idle switch still. I'm gonna drive her out to where Svaha hangs out for a quick sniff test. I'll get back to the office in a couple hours and post the update.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:23 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by douglas bray
For months now I have been hiding something. It's been eating away at me. I loose sleep, I look for distraction, and most of all I morn the loss of what was a great car. In short order I made several changes to my car. I did a chip, cat by-pass, and O2 sensor. The car sounded great and went down the road great. After the Valve adjustment and plugs and plug wires it was like driving a new super car. There was still something eating at me. When I stopped the car at a light or when I was just getting in it, it smelled horrific. I was getting sick from it. I saw smoke a couple times when I was following my brother driving it and I was sure it was valve guides. The only problem with that idea is that I haven't been adding oil between changes so It isn't burning that much. Only one guy has been privi to all of this and that is Pete. He has talked me thru several really depressing times. With his advice I changed out my chip this morning and the smell was gone. I drove the kids to school it it and just backing it out of the shed I couldn't stand the smell. After the chip swap I drove it around the block and didn't smell a thing. I put my nose right at the pipe and nothing. No smell other that that old refreshing smell of horse power. Please don't turn this into a chip bashing party. The chip may not be the only issue that is going on. This is a car that never went back to the dealer for service after purchase (by an old college professor at Ohio State) and may have never ever ever had an ounce of work since. Thank you guys for being there for me. When Pete says it, you guys should really listen. I could see what has been a five year run of Island hopping with my wife of 18 years turn into a full on rebuild and no vacation for years to come. Please be nice guys.

Was this reported to your chip programmer?

If so, what were the rendered comments?
Old 04-18-2008, 05:25 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

update: First thing the guy said was that I had a loose valve. Second thing he did was grab a can of brake cleaner and showed me that I had intake leaks at the manifold/heads and where the two halves come togeather. He refused to go any further untill this is cleared up. said a re-torque may do the trick or I may need new gaskets. He said this caused the computer to go to full rich at idle. What do you think?
Old 04-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by dshepp806
Was this reported to your chip programmer?

If so, what were the rendered comments?
I had several conversations with him before and shortly after the install. It drives much better and launches better with the chip so let me say it again, It May Not Be The Chip. I really have to know I have a healthy car first. I may have a problem somewhere else. This is why it has been eating at me. I am a very loyal customer and still really don't think it's the chip. I no more think it was it's fault than the bypass I did at the same time. Let me do the valves again (with the deck lid up I could hear it too) 'cause I may even have a tight one. Then I'll torque the intake and see where we are at. To answer the question had you asked if I reported this today...no I did not.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

douglas: Don't feel too badly if you find a few loose valves. That condition happens often on cars that; (1) haven't had a valve adjustment in a very long time, or (2) had a previous valve adjustment that was done very sloppy with numerous valves adjusted too loose. You might have had all of your valves right on the money, this is just a natural occurrence.

Torquing the intake manifolds will probably not work, it all depends how long they've been a little loose. When gaskets aren't tightly compressed they tend to fail quickly, here's hoping they'll be OK for a while...
Old 04-18-2008, 06:09 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Intake Manifold Gaskets (12 Pack)
1984-1989 PORSCHE 911 CARRERA

Part Number: 910283
Price: $29.95
Qty.

above is cut and paiste from automotion.

Why is this a 12 pack? I was thinking I had 6 intake valves. Will I screw up 6?

Edit: I looked at the same parts at Pelican and now I see why we use 12. Pelican is nice and had the set for $18.00. Now are they open on saturday and do they have a will call? the rubber boot between the 2 halves was only like $10.50 and not listed at Performance.....
Old 04-18-2008, 06:53 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by douglas bray

Edit: I looked at the same parts at Pelican and now I see why we use 12. Pelican is nice and had the set for $18.00. Now are they open on saturday and do they have a will call? the rubber boot between the 2 halves was only like $10.50 and not listed at Performance.....
Here's the really big question, have your engine compartment fuel lines (picture & part numbers on page #102 of the 8th edition of my book) been replaced yet? The reason that I ask is because they're getting close to the end of their life, and the manifold has to come off to replace them...
Old 04-18-2008, 07:31 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I was thinking the same thing Pete. My budget problems just got blown even worse when my 5 year old wanted a wii video game system and I admitted to my wife that I didn't get charged for the help I got today. So I kinda just sprung for a $249.00 ($318+/- with tax and insurance) wii video game system, half the money for the fuel line.....shoot me now!
Old 04-18-2008, 07:41 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doug,..your avatar sure seems to show a bit of oil trails in the driveway...whatzup/? Scary, yes.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:52 PM
The Donkey
Intermediate

I think $400 a day sounds pretty good to me for a place like that. Where is it? That is better than the other stuff I have been seeing from my wife.

Quick Reply: Help wife is spending my Porsche budget on this vacation spot! / Motor smell update