Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Porsche tracking

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 04:57 PM
rosco28
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche tracking

Does anyone know how to track the history of their Porsche? the title only lists the previous owner, but none before him. I know he wasn't the original owner...

Can i track this throug Porsche, or some VIN database? My car is a '79.

Thanks

rosco28
Old 04-13-2008, 08:50 PM
DougM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Without service history, it is very difficult. Do the 79's have a 17 digit vin? If it is a US car with a 17 digit VIN, you can run a carfax. This will tell where it has been registered and when titles changed hands. From there, you could call the Porsche dealers or European service centers in that area to see if they had any knowledge of the car.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:56 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

rosco, I was hoping for a post on racing a Porsche, but oh well.

You can get a carfax on the car from www.carfax.com My car for example had original registration and every time and milage the original owner moved or let the registration laps. I got lucky and found the original owner's 2006 tags under the driver's seat. He had actually walked into a dealership in 1987 and ordered my car just how I wanted it. I know 'cause of the next step...

the next step is to walk into a Porsche dealer and give the service department the VIN# and ask if any recalls are open on the car. They will have it on the satilite database and will be able to tell you every dealer the car has been to. they cant tell you what was done, but where is good info. They can see but shouldn't tell who first purchased the car, and how many miles on it at delivery. They can see when it went into production, and the date it was delivered to the dealer. Every dealer has a code #. You can then go on the internet and find that dealer and call them for the service history in there computers. cool stuff.
my car drove off the lot and never in 19 years went back to another dealer. SCARRY stuff.

It's was when I was looking on Google Earth at my PO's house that I knew I had a problem. I even got his phone number off white pages.com. RUN BOYS RUN.

Don't ask what I found on the Ohio State University Mainframe.

you should see where he lives now.

Quick Reply: Porsche tracking