Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Voltage spikes on '88 911

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 05:26 PM
ontario
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Let the rejoicing begin".

Got the alternator on and started the car at 11:35am today. You may have heard my cries of joy and relief.

A few key things I discovered about this job:

- Orientation of the alternator and housing is key. Muck this up and it's not going back in.
- Watch the notched area of the housing at the bottom. This needs to go forward of the pulley and not aft of it.
- You need little hands, a magnet and mirror to place nuts and retrieve them when they drop.
- Don't rush, be patient and methodical.
- You need a lot of different wrenches - thin wall and stubby ones really help.
- The electrical posts on my alternator were three different sizes - 7mm, 8mm and 10mm with matching ring connectors on the wires. Very smart design because it is impossible to mix them up when re-installing.

I wish I could do this again because I've got it down pat. Anyone in the Toronto area wanting to do this - I am game.

Thanks to everyone for their help and support.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:49 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats- glad it all worked out!
Old 04-13-2008, 05:52 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,142 Likes on 816 Posts

God Job Ontario .. now get on The Canadian forum and get to our get together next saturday at Chapters across from sherway mall.. see ya there
Old 04-13-2008, 06:33 PM
ontario
Advanced

Wish I could go but I'm snowboarding(!) in Whistler that weekend. Next time, for sure.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:12 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,142 Likes on 816 Posts

every week my friend we never miss
Old 05-09-2008, 09:53 PM
ontario
Advanced

Well the saga continues.

The original problem I was trying to correct with the alternator rebuild has returned. That is, the stereo amplifier cuts out while the car is being driven. I traced this to voltage spikes up to 18 volts which is why I had the alternator rebuilt.

All has been well for two weeks although I have not been driving the car much during that time. Today, the amp started cutting out again. I got it in the garage with the intent of putting the multimeter on the battery when the problem disappeared. I sat there with the m.m. on the battery with the engine running and the voltage stayed at 13-14 volts.

I am beginning to wonder if I have a bad battery. What does the collective think? I'm going to have to drive with the multimeter and if I start having the problem again, I will pull over and test the voltage.

BTW, I am having no other electrical problem. I do, however, have a slightly fluctuating idle both before and after the alt. rebuild.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"I traced this to voltage spikes up to 18 volts which is why I had the alternator rebuilt."

Then the regulator was NOT replaced and most likely just the brushes were replaced,
and maybe not even that. Or, the "rebuilder" used a junk regulator.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:10 PM
ontario
Advanced

Drove all day today and no problems. I did use a reputable rebuilder who does a lot of dealer work. Saw an Audi dealer truck pull in as I was there.

I'm going to have to get one of those plug-in voltage gauges to see what's going on. Maybe my amp is bad. Nothing else seems wrong in terms of electrical.

Quick Reply: Voltage spikes on '88 911