Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

removing drive shafts 77 911 ROW Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 10:03 AM
David0514
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post removing drive shafts 77 911 ROW Carrera

I am in the process of removing my engine and tranny. I have everything removed except the drive shafts (i think that is what they are called). I tried using an allen wrench to remove the bolts that hold these things to the tranny. They wouldn't budge. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Old 12-06-2002, 10:17 AM
Von Kiser
Instructor

you need to go and get the allen key SOCKET for your socket wrench (1/2 or 3/8 wrench). They have these at your local Napa, Advance Auto or Auto Zone. Make sure you clean out the allen opening.

Good luck,
--Brian
Old 12-07-2002, 01:49 PM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

after you follow what Brian says. if still diffulcult to remove, don't strip the allen internal fitting.. maybe a blow w/hammer on extension w/socket inserted in bolt.. maybe a BP Blaster soak overnight.. maybe try a clockwise slight turn.......Ron
Old 12-10-2002, 09:47 AM
David0514
Racer

I got them off, I bought a 6mm allen wrench socket head and a breaker arm. I did not won't to put that much stress on a regular rachet. I think the key was putting the allen wrench socket in and then tapping with a hammer for a nice, tight fit. After that was done, I just put the breaker arm on and pulled counterclockwise and off they came. Bottom line, the right tool for the right job makes all the difference between a simple job and a difficult job. Oh, the drive shafts came right off as the last bolt of each was removed. Oh, while I have your ear, does anyone know if the main arm on the tranny (915) needs to come off before I seperate the engine from the Tranny. I have disconnected the cable, removed some spring and the first arm. The large arm that is left is suppose to slide right off which of course it doesn't. The shaft that the main arm is on moves quite freely and can tun about 120 degrees before it hits either a heat exchanger or another part of the tranny. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Quick Reply: removing drive shafts 77 911 ROW Carrera