Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Removing decals

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 03:36 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing decals

I'm very tempted to take off my Carrera CS decals from my standard 3.2 in the pursuit of integrity. My question is, if I just peel them off is there anything I should worry about? Is the paint likely to be clearer and hence will there be a decal-shadow (technical term!) afterwards? TIA
Old 04-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Marty916
Instructor

In my experience decals tend to come off easier when heated with a hair dryer. Some adhesive may remain but should come off with some polish and elbow grease. Don't use any solvents harmful to paint(obviously). You may have some shadowing after removal depending on how long the decals have been on and the color of the car. Good luck!
Old 04-08-2008, 01:47 PM
m491driver
Advanced

Decal removal should go OK but one time I removed the Carrera emblem from the engine lid of my car after heating with a dryer and it pulled some of the original paint off with it.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:13 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Cheers guys, I'll give it a go in a few days when the weather's better and will let you know the results.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:05 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

The adhesive on emblems is a lot different that the vinyl graphics adhesive. A hair dryer will help a good deal, just don't try to cook it off and possibly soften the underlying paint surface. If there does happen to be any adhesive traces left, 3M adhesive remover will not harm a proper paint finish. Just waxing will remove it also, plus blend-in any ghost on your color paint. There may be the "Ghost" of the graphic left, but on your white car, it has a better chance of none showing. They are almost a sure bet to be on most metallic paint cars. Good luck!! Tony.

Quick Reply: Removing decals