Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cab top replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 07:45 PM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cab top replacement question

I need to replace my top. I have a couple of options before me.

1. replace with brand new top for about $1700-1800ish, including a roundtrip drive to OK. Why OK? I have not found anyone yet nearby that I am comfortable with. I ddi find a highly recommended shop form people I met at Porsche Palooza in OK. His rates are very reasonable. Again, I would have to drive to OK. But that is a nice roadtrip in the 911 also. Spring has sprung... hmmm.

2. I found a used top but in "super clean" shape from a fellow on Pelican. The price is for the entire top (frame, etc.) and is just under $1500 shipped to my house. I should be able to install this I would think, being that everything is already together... rigth? The other question is whether it will fit right... my car is an 83. This top came off a 92 I think, so it is power, but I believe from what I have read here and on PP, I can chaneg the latches over form my old top and remove the motors to make the "new" top a manual top like mine. I just want to make sure I have the right info here with respect to installing this thing. Would there likely be a lot of alignment adjustments needed? The pluses here for this route would be a little lower cost on the top, I get to spend quality time with the Porsche on another project, and it is the whole top, so I could sell mine to another party who needs one for a conversion perhaps (any idea on what I could get, being that it would need a new canvas installed?).

Well, I think I have laid out the pertinent information. Let me know if I need to give any more. I need to make a decision quickly on the used top. I just do not want any surprises, and do not want to think afterward, I should have spent a few hundred more and just bought a new top and had it installed.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:09 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shane

I would vote new top in OK. I will tackle almost anything but I would have to think getting the top to you in one piece, uninstalling yours, installing the used one & selling & shipping your old one would even be a serious stretch for me. For cheaper, I would probably buy a kit from GAHH or World or that cheaper guy in RI & re-cover myself. I have read about the difficulty of this though, so I just might cough up the cash & do the OK deal. fwiw

Ian
Old 04-03-2008, 08:55 PM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Go for the new top. I had a new top and rear window installed on my cab when I got it and it ran me $1100.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:47 PM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

OK< I guess my main question is does anyone know how much alignment may have to take place afterwards. I mean if I am swapping complete top for complete top, I am wondering if there will be a lot of alignment issues to deal with afterwards, and if so, hwo difficult that will be to tackle... I have to make a decision tonight, so if you can offer some good advice, I would sure appreciate it...
Old 04-05-2008, 12:03 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Um I am pretty sure that a new top is only 700 dollars. The rest of the money is labor for the installation. I do lots on my car, like valve adjustments, oil changes, brakes, all the good little things but I would sooner tackle an engine rebuild than a top replacement. I hear they are a complete PITA to do. You might even end up struggling, pulling your hair out, then taking it to a professional. I would say order (NON GERMAN) top from pelican and have someone pro install it. I know tons of people say German canvas is the only way to go but I think thats horsepoo, its just a cab top and I am pretty sure Americans have mastered the science of making a top people. Its like half the price. If this was an engine part I would say go German but its just a top. Thats my 2 cents.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:05 AM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 106 Posts

Sorry to jump your string, but can I easily convert my power top to a manual top by exchanging the header latches . . .or something ?
Old 04-07-2008, 01:42 AM
Casket
6th Gear

I’m interested in doing the same thing. …However, I’ll probably just pull the motors that raise/lower the top and live with the powered latching motors for now.

Maybe one day when I decide to replace the top I’ll try to retrofit a manual top and latching mechanism.

Gary
Old 04-09-2008, 05:45 PM
stay6
Intermediate

Shane, I replaced the top on my 84 911 shortly after I bought the car. It had some holes in the roof and considering it was original and 21 years old at the time, I went with the German manufacturer and a shop in north Dallas that specialized in convertible tops on imports and I have been very satisfied. Altogether the cost was around $16-1700. I suggest not trying to make something other than the original equipment work unless you are VERY adventurous. BTW, I still have the polished fuchs if you are interested. Scott
Old 04-10-2008, 11:41 AM
Group911@aol.com
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shane, you can't "just change the latches" on the 92 top to fit yours. You would have to cut and welt in the later windshield frame to make it work.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:00 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Hi Shane, I did a little more checking, and what is being posted about the actual mechanism being different is true. Either you would have to mod the windshield frame latch area, or mod the "new" top latch set-up. I have still been looking for the place that says they have a one-piece type top, that is made for the earlier cabs(83-85) but I still have not found much about it. Talk to ya later, Tony.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Bob Gruen
AutoX

Shane,

Go to the OK shop and get the German canvas. Contrary to Oshin11's advice, there is a huge difference in the 3 ply German canvas and the cheaper 2 ply domestic stuff. Also, you should replace the rain gutter cables if they look sketchy at all. Check them cause they will add a couple hundred dollars to buy.

HKPlinker,

Why would you want to convert from a power top to a manual? The rear motors behind the rear seat and the gearboxes in the frames may need a cleaning after 20 years, but chances are they will outlast the car. If the header latches are giving you a problem, just look here for the solution: http://members.rennlist.com/bgruen/gear.html

Bob
Old 04-10-2008, 11:03 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 106 Posts

Bob,
the right side motor gave out a few months ago as I was letting down the top. I felt it struggle and kept on pushing the dash top button until POP. The metal frame snapped. Now, I have to power the top to unlatch the header, then loosen the 19mm bolts, then lower the top manually. I know it's a cheap fix (or the lack of, but I only have the top up when I'm not driving the car for more than three weeks or so (store it top and latched).
I don't want to even find out what it will cost to replace & repair.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Bob Gruen
AutoX

"The metal frame snapped"

Ouch! It sounds like you're lucky the top is stable in the up position. Which part of the frame snapped? One of the articulating arms on the side near the gearbox or the piece they bolt to?

I once has a bolt start to back out on me. I spotted it in time but I'm pretty certain that if it came out it would have either broken the frame or punched a hole through the canvas. I blue loc-tighted it and I check them every one in a while.

Bob

http://members.rennlist.com/bgruen/

Last edited by Bob Gruen; 04-11-2008 at 12:48 AM.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:08 AM
Casket
6th Gear

If the header latches are giving you a problem, just look here for the solution: http://members.rennlist.com/bgruen/gear.html
Bob, that's great info. Thanks.

Gary

'88 Carrera Cabriolet

Quick Reply: Cab top replacement question