Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Added another Porsche to the garage. I'm pretty excited.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Added another Porsche to the garage. I'm pretty excited.

After I bought my first Porsche, a Boxster, I swore I'd have a Porsche in the garage for the rest of my life. But, I never really thought I'd have two. It was too good a deal on too good a car to pass up. Sealed the deal last night.

This is all that is presentable in pictures at this time.

Yes, it's old, and it is a project. She's been in my neighbor's garage for a very long time, and it's a bit dusty (and fortunately, not rusty!). I would get a peek every once in a while when their garage door was open. I finally struck up a conversation one morning with a goofy quip that went something like, "Hey, when are you going to let me buy that from you and get it back on the road." His response was, "What's your offer?" I didn't have one. I was half joking. That was a few months ago. I did find that they are the original owners and got a quick look at the car. It seemed not to have any serious rust issues. Over the last weekend I knocked on his door and asked to get a closer look. We ended up settling on a selling price.

This should keep me occupied for a good while. It's light ivory with black interior. More pics when I am able to give it a wash and get it into my garage from two doors down. I can't wait to get started.

Brett
Old 04-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Jitters
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations Brett!

It's just like bringing a new baby home from the hospital isn't it?

Jitters
Old 04-02-2008, 02:10 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jitters
Congratulations Brett!

It's just like bringing a new baby home from the hospital isn't it?

Jitters
Not really. I know how to take care of a car. With my girls I was clueless.

Brett
Old 04-02-2008, 02:20 PM
Hobby Logger
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations Brett, I'm searching for number two also, 1989 or older.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:02 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Brett: Fantastic! Is it a C or SC? That is certainly the old-style pink slip!
Old 04-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Brett: Fantastic! Is it a C or SC? That is certainly the old-style pink slip!
It is a C coupe. Owner says the engine has been out twice but is original. Last time was for a rebuild that he says was done with oversized pistons and cylinders. He mentioned 1700, and he may have said SC specs, but I'm not sure that his memory is complete on this. Obviously my memory isn't clear either, and I don't know exactly what the SC specs are. I didn't confirm original engine, yet. Transmission should also be original, but I haven't confirmed. I felt the price was too good to wait.

Now the internal debate rages... original colors or personal preference? concours or driver? aggghhh, the agony. I think I'm going to stay with original colors. Champagne yellow with green interior (an original factory combination) keeps popping up in my head, though. I like "interesting" colors, if my 911 is any indication. I think I'm pretty set on driver. I want to drive this thing, but my intention is to clean it up pretty good.

Yeah, in case the youngun's wondered why it's called a "pink slip."

Brett
Old 04-02-2008, 04:03 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

That sounds like a totally exciting project. I love the fees paid on 1967 on the pink slip ($2.00). My knowledge of Porsche history does not go back that far. Is this a 911, 912, 914, 356??
Old 04-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Now, tell me, does the key with the diamond-shaped head still work in the gearshift lever? If yes, it should work in both neutral and reverse.

SC = Solex carbs
C = Zenith carbs

1720 NPRs are junk! If they're in there, I suggest that you find a set of 1600 cc Mahles...

Sorry, my two cents - can't help it, I love those cars!
Old 04-02-2008, 04:32 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I can see it now...Pete is going to be spending his weekends in San Diego offering his services to Brett in exchange for a ride in the new baby.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:52 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats, Brett!

I think that's an excellent combo, a 356 & 911.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:03 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats!!!

be sure to keep us posted on the resto
Old 04-02-2008, 06:28 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Now, tell me, does the key with the diamond-shaped head still work in the gearshift lever? If yes, it should work in both neutral and reverse.

SC = Solex carbs
C = Zenith carbs

1720 NPRs are junk! If they're in there, I suggest that you find a set of 1600 cc Mahles...

Sorry, my two cents - can't help it, I love those cars!
PO did speak of the transmission lock key, so I assume so.

I don't even know the visual difference between Zeniths and Solexes at this time. I need a good learnin' on 356s. I'll be ordering some books real soon.

The PO did say that the mechanic intentionally stayed away from some Japanese brand of pistons, but he could not give any names. Is that possibly NPR? Is that a Japanese made brand? But, I have no idea what exactly was put in the engine (and I'm sure the PO doesn't either). I don't know when the rebuild was done, and I don't think the PO could give a year either, at this time.

Brett
Old 04-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
That sounds like a totally exciting project. I love the fees paid on 1967 on the pink slip ($2.00). My knowledge of Porsche history does not go back that far. Is this a 911, 912, 914, 356??
1964 356C coupe. I interpret the "CPECKAR" on the pink slip as coupe, C, Karmann. It is a Karmann body.

Brett
Old 04-02-2008, 06:37 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by douglas bray
I can see it now...Pete is going to be spending his weekends in San Diego offering his services to Brett in exchange for a ride in the new baby.
Anyone is willing to help. Help may be the only way it will get finished in less than 10 years, and I even think the body doesn't need a ton of sheet metal work. I don't forsee having a lot of time to put toward it, but I'm gonna try to inch it along.

Brett
Old 04-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Brett: Please make the living arrangements we spoke about earlier...

Zenith (C) carbs have round, black, painted air filter cans with removable tops held on using two clips.

Solex (SC) carbs have oval, wire mesh air cleaners, each held on using five bolts with 10mm wrench size heads.

If the carbs were replaced with Webers (hope not!) all bets are off regarding the air filters.

The only big-bore kit that I can think of that's probably OK is stuff made by Shasta, not sure what sizes they do. I'll be curious to learn more!

Quick Reply: Added another Porsche to the garage. I'm pretty excited.