Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

shift rod coupler boot - help

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 09:22 PM
cscholz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shift rod coupler boot - help

I'm trying to find and install a missing shift rod coupler boot. The car is '87 911 Carrera. The linkage is visible from under the car, just in front on the transmission. Below are a few pictures of the coupler with the missing boot. I've purchased part 911.424.294.00 which is listed some places as the "sealing sleeve/outer boot". It almost looks like it will fit, but not really. Here's a link to the part in the pelican diagram:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...0&Line_Item=33

Part # 33 in the diagram.

My pictures:
Transmission end:

Linkage tunnel end (front):

The coupler to be covered by the boot:

My question is, is this the correct part? It looks like it will fit in the large hole end, but the small end seems like the boot ought to have a lip on it to go over the flange on the transmission end. I've also seen another part called the sealing sleeve that is more of a bellows boot. That part is here:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...0&Line_Item=32

Part # 32 in the diagram.

Which part do I need? If it's the first part (#33) which I already have, how does it fit in place?

Thanks,
Carl
Old 04-01-2008, 06:51 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

My experience is with pre G50 (915) trans and I have never been able to get the boot to stay in place. It seems to get pulled off as soon as the shift rod moves back and forth. I don't even have one on my track car. I suppose you could glue it to the inside of the hole.

Steve
Old 04-01-2008, 08:46 AM
cscholz
Intermediate

Thanks, Steve. It may be because you have the wrong boot ...

I looked in my Bentley manual and they actually have a different diagram than I've seen at Pelican. And it looks like my car! The boot they show is bellowed and the rear end has an offset outlet. That's the part I need, but I don't see it on any of the website diagrams. Argh!

Has anyone found this part? Should I go to the dealer?

Carl
Old 04-01-2008, 08:59 AM
cscholz
Intermediate

I found the part #!! I downloaded the original parts catalog from Porsche's site and the part number is in there! Now I can call Perf. Products back and tell them exactly what I need. If you don't have this PDF file, you really should get it (FREE) from here:

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...spdfcatalogue/

BTW, the part I need is different for '87 on, part number is: 950 424 294 06 sealing sleeve

Cool - hopefully, the part is still available.

Carl
Old 04-01-2008, 11:29 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I see what you mean. Pelican's diagram doesn't show what you have. It's probably still available. Did you try calling with that P/N?
Old 04-01-2008, 02:42 PM
AJ88CAB
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Well isn't that's just great! I just replaced my shift shaft seal a couple of months ago, and I'm prety sure there was no coupler boot.....add it to the ever growing list.

Thanks alot Carl
Old 04-01-2008, 04:54 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cscholz, the boot for the 87-89 is not a two piece configuration, it is a single boot. Porsche went to a single piece configuration in about 1995. After contorting myself for hours, I finally figured out how to install it. I'm doing these instructions from memory from 5-6 years ago so bear with me. You have to take out the set screw on the shift rod where it attaches to the transmission. You then move the shift rod forward a bit so you can insert the boot onto the shift rod. Slide the boot over the shift rod with the bellows end (the big hole) toward the front of the car. You may want to get help as someone has to grab the end when you poke it through the hole into the car so they can hold on to it until you've finished working underneath. As you slide the boot forward, there will be a hole in the end of the boot pointed toward the tranny. That smaller hole fits over the small washer like flange on the tranny nose and is what holds it onto the tranny. You may need a 90 degree scribe or some other tool with a 90 degree bend in it to work it around and over that small flange. Once this is on, make sure the boot is floating free. Then compress the bellows of the boot back towards the tranny so you can slide the shift coupler back over the tranny shift rod, slide the coupler over the tranny shaft and then put the set screw back in to anchor the rod to the coupler.

The next step is to push the bellows of the boot into the tunnel cavity where you will hopefully have it surrounding the coupler. All you do then is take the outer lip of the boot and roll it back over the flange hole in the tunnel cavity. I never thougth it would work, but when I did it, it almost rolled itself on there. This should finish the job of getting it installed. However, I went a little further and used a 1/4" tie strap about a foot long and put it on the outside of the rubber boot I had just rolled over the flange. This, in my mind, would help prevent the boot from coming off. Once all that was done, I rechecked the tranny area to make sure the boot was still on the flange on the tranny nose. If both are in place and secure, you won't have any fumes coming into the cab area. I hope this helps.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:02 PM
cscholz
Intermediate

Spider911 - thanks for the thorough description. I think I got it all, except for one part. You start by saying to slide it over the shift rod (tranny end) with the big end of the bellows facing forward - got that. But, why do I need a helper at that point? Seems like I'd get the tranny end attached, reconnect the coupler and then work the big end of the boot forward into the tunnel hole. Did you put the tie strap on the front-most bit of the boot (from inside the access hole?)? If so, that makes sense. I wasn't originally thinking I needed to get in through the access hole at all, but it's easy enough.

BTW, Perf. Parts didn't have the part. I ordered it from the dealer for about $23 with my PCA discount. Should be in in about 4-5 days.

Thanks,
Carl
Old 04-02-2008, 12:09 AM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may not need a helper since you stuff the rubber in the large hole and it doesn't move. I had my wife help me in that area because I was so frustrated by that time that I didn't need another goof up. The rest you seem to have down OK. Good luck.

Quick Reply: shift rod coupler boot - help