Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Brake Bleeding Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 11:12 AM
Don Ivey
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Bleeding Question

I just bled the brakes on my '87 Carrera, and didn't realize I needed to close off the drain hose off the M/C until I'd pretty much finished. I looked under the car and didn't see any brake fluid on the floor, so now I'm worried. Where did it go? Is it possible none went out through that hose? Thanks,

Don Ivey
Old 03-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Let's hope you didn't pump it into the trunk.

The best way to bleed brakes is with a one way valve on a plastic tube. I got mine at Pep-Boys for about $3.79. It's a simple clam on one end you stick onto the bleeder valve on the caliper. The other end has a one way valve you put into a plastic soda botle. You are then free to go step on the brakes and don't have to even have a second person involved. For +/-$7.00 you can get a kit with it's own bottle.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:18 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,147 Likes on 821 Posts

depending on how you bled the brakes it may or may not be an issue. I use the standart techniqu with a partner and it works fine. I think maybe you just need to block it off or the motive power bleeder setup as you need to build pressure and you have to block the vent.

I wouldn't wory about it ...
Old 03-30-2008, 01:52 PM
Don Ivey
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I didn't use the Motive product, because mine doesn't work very well. I just pumped the pedal slowly, with the bleeder hose in a container of old brake fluid, so it doesn't suck air. Seemed to work fine, just wanted to make sure no fluid was soaking into nether regions. Thanks,

Don Ivey
Old 03-30-2008, 02:17 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,147 Likes on 821 Posts

no you did it the standard we that's ben done for years .. your fine.. no don't do what I did and decide ,,, hmm .. maybe I should replace those rubber brake line and end up doing it all again ..
Old 03-30-2008, 08:36 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Today I bled my brakes and didn't realize there was an open drain line. I used the Motive bleeder, and ended up with brake fluid EVERYWHERE, including the floor board on the driver side, puddles under the car, sprayed around the trunk, etc. Quite a mess as the 8psi immediately pumped the Motive jug empty while I was down on the floor waiting for fluid to come out my bleeder valve.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:37 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

keep it off the paint

Quick Reply: Brake Bleeding Question