Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'77 911S - time bomb or bargain?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Techne
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '77 911S - time bomb or bargain?

Hey folks,
I am new to the list and 911's. I am going to go look at a 1977 911S today that has a full maintenance history. Local car, original paint, looks very clean. So far, I know it had a rebuild at 80K, tranny and clutch at 115K and now has 140K on it. It has an upgraded oil cooler and some suspension mods.

My question is, if the head studs were done right, the oil cooler is upgraded, and it has the 11-blade fan, is this still a car that is as problematic as its reputation? If I can get into this thing $4-6,000 less than a 3.0 SC and the areas of concern are addressed, is there still this risk I always here about? This is assuming all of the other aspects of the car check out. I would do a PPI, but wonder if I shouldn't even be considering this car?

I am in the Pacific Northwest, and the car will need to be smogged. My intended use is as a daily driver for a short commute to replace my '73 914 2.0.

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated. All opinions encouraged - fire away!
Old 03-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.carsearch.com/

I typed in 1977 911S Porsche and found the above link. I don't know if the link will go back to that car, but It looks like a nice car. May be worth looking at. For that money you can find a 3.0 or 3.2 that would be in my opinion a better car. Not at all sure if this is the car.....

Cut and Paste:

1977 Porsche 911S Coupe - $16.500

1977 Porsche
Car has been garaged and covered. Excellent condition. 80,800 miles. Whale tail and fog lights Original Porsche Alloyed Wheels 2.7 liter - 6 cylinder - fuel injected engine 5 speed manual transmission Hydraulic dual circuit brake system Self adjusting disc brakes Original Blaupunkt AM/FM Stereo Radio w/Cassette Player Air conditioning / Power sunroof / Power windows & mirror Leather covered steering wheel / Leather seats Colgan Custom Bra Mosom 3 layer polypropylene fitted car cover by Coverking (with storage bag) Body is straight. Paint is very serviceable with an area above the drivers door having been touched up. Minor dent in the left rocker around the jack hole. Minor dings in passengar door. Whale tail rear deck lid has cracks in the paint. Glass, seals, gaskets are good. All seams and gaps are straight and even.

Price: $16,500

Contact Seller
Telephone: (360) 326-8172
Vehicle Location: Vancouver, WA
Ad Date: 08-Feb-2007 17:45:31
Old 03-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Techne
Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.
I would check my local smog laws carefully before proceeding. In CA, you must retain the original smog equipment, which means even removing the dreaded thermal reactors from a '77 is not allowed. You would fail the visual inspection, regardless of what your emissions were.

The mag cased-2.7 in that car is vulnerable to heat stress. You live in a cool climate and don't sound like you would drive the car that hard, and if the mods you mention have been done correctly (case-savers, head studs, fan, extra oil cooling, etc.), perhaps you would have no problems, but myself, I would prefer one of the later SC or Carrera aluminum-cased cars for reliability. You will have to decide if the cost savings vs. risk is worth it to you. I would definitely confirm the condition of the car with a PPI before buying, and seek the lowest possible price, in case an engine rebuild was in my future with it.

TT
Old 03-29-2008, 04:32 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

$4-6,000 less than a 3.0 SC just about covers engine problems if they occur. Since they may not occur - esp. in a PNW car (cool climate) that is not a bad price.

Drive it. If the motor blow up, then swap in an SC motor.

A '74 would be better if you can find one, tho.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:56 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

"Paint is very serviceable"

Does this mean that it needs a new paint job or major wax/polish job with chips, scratches etc.

Check out Pete Zimmerman's SC.

I took a look at the Pelican classified and most of the SC's & Carreras listed are Targa's or Cabriolets.

This looks like a nice SC Coupe for $16,500

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=400434

John
Old 03-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Techne
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it was listed for $11,000 - but the craigslist add is gone and the guy isn't calling me back - guess its gone.....

Thanks anyway, folks!
Old 03-29-2008, 07:44 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the thermal reactors have been removed and it has the recommended upgrades you could be okay. Look for documented rebuild including timing chain tensioners and a line item stating studs were installed correctly with time certs. If those items are in order then it may be worth investing in a PPI.

'77 911s
'87 Vette
'02 Infiniti

Quick Reply: '77 911S - time bomb or bargain?