Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

I pulled the trigger

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 12:13 AM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
Default I pulled the trigger

Ok so I pulled the trigger yesterday. My intentions were not to buy a Targa. I've been a coupe guy for years and was searching for a coupe. She is a 1989 Targa with 26XXX miles in Guards Red/ black interior in beautiful condition. I had a full ppi carried out with a compression test. She passed with flying colors. she has no spoilers(which I personally prefer on the Targa..don't know why but I do). I'm pretty excited but won't have the car for about another week and a half or so. It wil be shipped to my home. I purchased the car at Exclusive Motors in North Carolina (thanks Stan) and had the ppi carried out at Eurowerks. I did fly in to personally see the car. Great dealer with some very nice cars for sale. I will post pics when she arrives.

Oh btw any tips/advice on Targas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:57 AM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats. Hope it treats you well!

Brett
Old 03-29-2008, 09:28 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Congrats !!

I've heard good things about Exclusive motors.

Can't wait to see the photos !

I had a blast drivng my Targa yesterday on the way home from work since it was 80 degrees out.

Today it's only supposed to be in the low 50's

John
Old 03-29-2008, 09:32 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Way to go Rey, Enjoy!
Old 03-29-2008, 09:43 AM
DL Lawrence
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. That's a beatiful car, dude. Congrats! I'm becoming a big fan of Guards Red...
Old 03-29-2008, 10:38 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats - sounds like a very nice car - '89... that last year of the hand-assembled 911... I like the Targa's shaved, too - less busy / highlights the unique styling... look into Butzi Porsche's comments on the styling (he designed it) - it was controversial at the time... still is.

Here is a bit of advice (mo only) on the Targa...
- garage it when not driving,
- when driving in the rain, don't be startled by water dripping onto your left knee (unless you are in Britain, in which case it is your right knee), or anywhere else, for that matter,
- avoid frequent collapsing of the Targa top... in fact, some owner's never close it,
- learn about the fit, weatherstrip seals & Targa install/removal procedures via the manual & from a longtime owner who is excessively careful - like a PCA member who concours his,
- if you cruise long distance @ high speed, carry earplugs for your pass.
- there is a guy in NJ, Dan Petchel, carsincnj.com, who restores Targa tops - I'd stop in to visit,
- there is a place that sells a rigid fg top - I'd consider that (or maybe buying a used spare for folding purposes), that is what Butzi originally intended - the Targa as an open car that included a rigid top for distance travel & a light canvas top for when getting caught in the rain.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:19 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

So, how much did it run you? Someone has to ask; might as well be me.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:48 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks guys..I'm looking forward to learning a whole new(at least to me) Porsche. Final price was 31.5K. I will have the 30k mile service performed at Eurowerks next week before she comes to my home. I feel like a kid on Christmas....
Old 03-29-2008, 06:06 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ked
congrats - sounds like a very nice car - '89... that last year of the hand-assembled 911... I like the Targa's shaved, too - less busy / highlights the unique styling... look into Butzi Porsche's comments on the styling (he designed it) - it was controversial at the time... still is.

Here is a bit of advice (mo only) on the Targa...
- garage it when not driving,
- when driving in the rain, don't be startled by water dripping onto your left knee (unless you are in Britain, in which case it is your right knee), or anywhere else, for that matter,
- avoid frequent collapsing of the Targa top... in fact, some owner's never close it,
- learn about the fit, weatherstrip seals & Targa install/removal procedures via the manual & from a longtime owner who is excessively careful - like a PCA member who concours his,
- if you cruise long distance @ high speed, carry earplugs for your pass.
- there is a guy in NJ, Dan Petchel, carsincnj.com, who restores Targa tops - I'd stop in to visit,
- there is a place that sells a rigid fg top - I'd consider that (or maybe buying a used spare for folding purposes), that is what Butzi originally intended - the Targa as an open car that included a rigid top for distance travel & a light canvas top for when getting caught in the rain.
+1 on all of this...

A buddy of mine on Rennlist bought his 89 targa from Dan Petchel, and it of course came with one of his restored tops. That top was amazing, and is definitely the proper route. Also, if you do choose to take the targa top off and fold it under hood, be sure not to lay it on the carpet. Cover it with a soft blanket as the carpet will be very abrasive...

Lastly, the seals around the targa top and along the targa bar will deteriorate with age. These can be expensive to replace. The best path is be sure to keep them supple with a quality protectant. I can't remember what I had used in the past on my 79 Targa, but I bought it from John Paterek of Preferred Car Care Products many years ago. John is the PCA's expert on Body/Paint Upholstery/Interiors. Here is a link to his contact info: http://www.pca.org/tech/tech_bios.html

Enjoy!

-Blake
Old 03-29-2008, 07:32 PM
joetiii
Intermediate

As a bit of advice, I'd recommend that you check the top latches are secure everytime you drive off. It's very easy to pop the top on when rain threatens w/o securing the latches.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Dentron
Instructor

Very nice pick-up. I'm sure it will treat you well...

C.L.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:06 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice. Enjoy it. Just throw the top away.

Ian
Old 03-29-2008, 10:22 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

Congrats. Think you'll find that for normal weekend driving... youll love the Targa...

83 SC Targa
Old 03-30-2008, 11:16 AM
sprio
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great looking car - I bought my 87 cab from Bob 2 1/2 years ago - they're great folks to deal with.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:23 PM
RacingBeat
Instructor

yep, here's another targa bought from exclusive.......over 2 yrs and 10k miles......still running strong
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: I pulled the trigger