Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Making sound at the track

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 09:25 PM
lisa
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Making sound at the track

This past weekend I was at Infineon on Friday and Laguna Seca Saturday and Sunday. Both of these tracks have restrictions on sound, but Laguna is the stricter of the two. A buddy of mine was meat-balled at Infineon for sound! At Laguna they were running two motorcycle groups, and two car groups, some of the bikes had what looked like nomex socks that fit over their exhausts in the morning until things warmed up. I have searched the net and cannot find anything on such a "sound deflecting sock". I found "gutter downspouts", and stuffing the muffler with course wire mesh. Anyone know of a "quick fix" or temporary fix to make sound at the track?
Old 03-28-2008, 10:04 PM
porsche930dude
Instructor

Maby just an elbow to point the sound at the ground. I dunno if that would do a whole lot but its worth a try
Old 03-28-2008, 10:14 PM
lisa
Intermediate

I have the whole fabspeed set-up on this one car, bypass and double straight outlets, but on one side I have an elbow that can be blocked or angled in any direction, and the car is still loud. It does make a big difference in performance, and I would rather not block it, a sock or some kind of temporary packing sounds intriguing. One guy came all the way down from oregon to run Laguna but he was pegged for sound and had no alternative than to ride the rest of the time.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:21 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Yeah it is pretty lame that some stupid rich people decide to build their houses in the hills above a racetrack that has been there for 50+ years . . . .

Anyway I went to Laguna Seca for the first time a couple months ago and my friend in his modded 3rd gen RX7 had to quit for the day because he was too loud, and his exhaust is not all that loud compared to most modded RX7s. Several people who were barely over the dB limit simply ziptied 90 degree dryer ducts to their tailpipes and angled them so they'd be pointing away from the sound check station as they drove by. This seemed to work for several cars, including a new GT3 and an F430 Ferrari. The guys who were clearly pros had more elaborate setups, a guy in a super fast supercharged NSX had mini secondary mufflers that attached to his regular tailpipes and stuck out behind his car about a foot each; looked goofy but it sure quieted the thing down. Luckily my stock 951 is quiet!

Good luck finding a solution!

Quick Reply: Making sound at the track