Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Octane Requirements

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 08:22 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loren:
Back to the original question... Who cares? Are you really trying to save .20 a gallon when driving your 80k premium automobile? this whole discussion seems crazy to me...
Old 03-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Hester
Instructor

Its hard to convey tone in writing but I was being facetious when I expressed indignation in my previous post Bray, old buddy, old pal. I grew up in New York and it takes a lot more than anything that any of you clowns can come up with to hurt my feelings!
Old 03-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have holed some pistons, and shattered some rings as well, once again a case of over advanced ignition. As for octane requirements, I usually base my usage on static compression ratio. It was obvious with my 81 Euro that I should use premium + , especially as it was set up with a scavenging exhaust. Having reread this thread, and in the interests of avoiding the chips vs dips controversy, I wll state the following question.

OK, I'll bite. Pete, what do YOU reccomend as proper octane for SCs and Carreras ? And WWSWD ?
Old 03-27-2008, 08:52 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hester, fine then. I'll play the offended party. I find you to be way too knowledgable to be credible. By the way, what's an "exibition of speed" ticket gonna cost me in legal fees and fines? And just for the record.....It's all your falt!
Old 03-27-2008, 08:58 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Sorry Pete, see that part of my sig that says "douglas -Pete?" It should say: Pete -douglas!!! but I think you know that? of course the little dot is bowing the wrong way isn't it?

good night guys.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:03 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Dudley
OK, I'll bite. Pete, what do YOU reccomend as proper octane for SCs and Carreras ?
Premium in all cases, Chevron when possible. We took apart some seriously ugly motors that ran a variety of gasoline types/grades (and used oils other than Kendall), but when we took apart engines that we knew were run on Chevron, and used Kendall oil, they were in far better condition on the inside. Chevron engines usually had intake valves that looked new, and the tops of pistons were much cleaner than those from non-Chevron engines. We took this stuff pretty serious, and our info was compiled by looking at gas receipts found in door pockets and glove boxes - we were confident, after a few years, that we knew what to use in our own cars!

Originally Posted by Daniel Dudley
And WWSWD ?
Windshield Wiper System Washer Detergent...? Regular's OK for that...
Old 03-28-2008, 01:24 AM
Hester
Instructor

Did you really get a ticket, Bray? If so, what is/are the charge(s)? VC 23109(c)?
Old 03-28-2008, 02:28 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

VC23109(C) Misdemeanor . I was making a left hand turn at a light. I was stuck in the intersection as the light turned yellow and didn't want to be sitting there when it turned red. I don't think I took off to quickly, but he did. The officer said I went flying thru the light at the last second and was never stopped. He said I was going at least 35 when I went into and came out of the intersection. I was at a complete stop for at least 30 seconds sitting in the intersection....first ticket in ten years, never caused a TC and have no criminal record. I'm sure he has it on video. From where he was at he should have me clearly sitting.

EDIT: The only thing I can think of is that it was the first drive after my valve adjustment and the car may have really launched with out me even realizing it.

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 03-28-2008 at 02:49 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:17 AM
Hester
Instructor

Relevant Paragraphs of California Vehicle Code Section 23109:

(C) A person shall not engage in a motor vehicle exhibition of speed on a highway, and a person shall not aid or abet in a motor vehicle exhibition of speed on any highway.

(i) A person who violates subdivision (b), (c), or (d) shall upon conviction of that violation be punished by imprisonment in a county jail for not more than 90 days, by a fine of not more than five hundred dollars ($500), or by both that fine and imprisonment.

California Criminal Jury Instructions re: violation of VC23109(c).

Ladies and gentlemen of the Jury...the defendant, Douglas Bocephous Bray, is charged with engaging in an exhibition of speed in violation of Vehicle Code section 23109(c). To prove that the defendant is guilty of this crime, the People must prove that:

(1) Douglas Bocephous Bray drove a motor vehicle on a highway; AND

(2) While so driving, Douglas Bocephous Bray willfully engaged in an exhibition of speed.

Someone commits an act willfully when he or she does it willingly or on purpose. It is not required that he or she intend to break the law, hurt someone else, or gain any advantage.

A person engages in an exhibition of speed when he or she accelerates or drives at a rate of speed that is dangerous and unsafe in order to show off or make an impression on someone else.

[The People must prove that the defendant intended to show off or impress someone but are not required to prove that the defendant intended to show off to or impress any particular person.]
Old 03-28-2008, 03:18 AM
Hester
Instructor

Who were you trying to impress, Bray? Show off....Seriously now, I've seen you drive and you aren't impressing anyone....okay now, seriously, and I mean it this time...

I don't practice criminal law but it seems to me that the Prosecution's burden is to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that Bray was trying to impress someone. The People don't have to show that he was trying to impress anyone in particular but that he was trying to impress someone.

If I were presenting a defense to a jury (which you should insist on whether you hire a lawyer to represent you or not and which you are entitled to, I would make sure that they learned that Mr. Bray is a devoted husband and father with 19 children and that he hasn't been able to or tried to impress anyone since at least 1987.

Because the intent to impress is an element of the crime, I would attempt to establish exactly what Bray was thinking about as he went through that intersection, and, so long as it was about something other than tring to impress someone (e.g., octane and its effect on Porsche 911s), it would be evidence tending to disprove an essential element of the crime alleged.

The uphill part for me would be the fact that he was driving a Porsche 911 (i.e., a fancy sports car). In closing, I would argue that the Porsche 911 is impressive in and of itself and that speeding through an intersection in one would not make it any more or less impressive to anyone who might see it.

In my professional (although maybe red-necked and loud-mouthed) opinion, you got a bull$hit ticket that isn't going to stick. The best thing that you can do is hire a lawyer. That being said, you might want to take your chances and handle it yourself.

At the very least, make sure that you don't miss your arraignment. You may be able to just go to the court anytime before the appearance date on the ticket (with the ticket) and asked to be arraigned. The arraignment is just where the court informs you of the crime that the People allege you've committed and asks you to enter a plea to the charges (guilty or not guilty). The ticket might also have instructions for entering a plea by mail. Plead not guilty. Don't waive your right to a jury, don't waive your speedy trial rights, and don't waive your right to trial in front of a judge (not a commissioner). Let the bastards jump through all of the hoops. The court will set a trial date which, in a misdemeanor case in which the Bray, er, I mean, defendant, has not waived his speedy trial rights, must be within 45 days of the arraignment.

At this point, you can go hire a lawyer to handle the pretrial and trial.

The pretrial will consist of an exchange of information between the prosecution and the defense as required by Penal Code Sections 1054 and following, pretrial motions (e.g., for dismissal or exclusion of evidence, etc.), and negotiations for a plea bargain (maybe they will let you plead guilty to jay-walking or something). If you are really persistent, the prosecuter may decide that his case is weak, that he doesn't want to waste his time trying to prosecute an old man with 19 kids, and that he should either offer you a sweet deal or just drop the case for lack of evidence or in the interests of justice.

If they decide to go to trial, well, then, its a crap shoot and its up to the jury.

Last edited by Hester; 03-28-2008 at 04:40 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:10 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Peter Zimmermann;5256454]Premium in all cases, Chevron when possible. We took apart some seriously ugly motors that ran a variety of gasoline types/grades (and used oils other than Kendall), but when we took apart engines that we knew were run on Chevron, and used Kendall oil, they were in far better condition on the inside. Chevron engines usually had intake valves that looked new, and the tops of pistons were much cleaner than those from non-Chevron engines. We took this stuff pretty serious, and our info was compiled by looking at gas receipts found in door pockets and glove boxes - we were confident, after a few years, that we knew what to use in our own cars!

Thanks Peter. That's all I needed to hear.

Chevron uses techron as it's detergent additive. I cannot get Chevron in my area, but I do run techron through my engines a couple of times a year.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:52 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Is Chevron the same as Amoco/BP?

Lately I have bee sticking with Shell.

John
Old 03-28-2008, 09:40 AM
scarceller
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John,

I'm also intrested in comments on Shell 93 Octane, this is the highest grade available to me here in RI.

Originally Posted by GothingNC

John
Old 03-28-2008, 09:47 AM
scarceller
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Loren,

Why do you think Porsche upped the Octane requirements from 87octane (in 84-86) to 91octane (in 87-89)?

I suspect it had to do with the more advanced timing in the 87-89 chips, but this is simply speculation on my part. Just wondering what your oppionion is?

As always thanks.

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
Data from Porsche reference manuals:

I. Porsche Workshop Manual - WKD 482 020 & Porsche Technical Spec Book WKD 423 020

930/21 - 911 '84-'86 RON/MON 91/82 USA pump rating = (RON+MON)/2 = 87
("recommended 91" per manual WKD 482 020)

II. Porsche Service Manual '89 911 - WKD 495 421

930/25 - 911 '87-'89 RON/MON 95/85 USA pump raing = (RON+MON)/2 = 91
Old 03-28-2008, 10:01 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GothingNC

John
I've always run Amoco 93 (now BP) in my performance cars, boats, etc. and 87 octane in my other vehicles. It's good stuff...when I was purchasing a bottle of Techron from a reputable import shop a few years ago, the owner (also a 911 guru) asked which gas I used. When I told him Amoco/BP 93, he told me to same my money on the Techron...I didn't need it. I did the Techron treatment anyways (and couldn't tell a before/after difference).

Keith
'88 CE coupe

Quick Reply: Octane Requirements