Gearing solutions and an Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Erik @ Carquip
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearing solutions and an Introduction

Hello everyone,

I am not sure if my tag has been changed, but before everyone starts jumping up and down, I and the Carquip are new sponsors here now.

My name is Erik Johnson, and I work for Carquip. We specialize in gearing and transaxle solutions for Porsche cars. We have been around for what seems like forever, but we are really going these days. We currently enjoy a wonderful supply of gears and transaxles in stock and ready to go.

If you have some questions regarding what gearing to run, or anything regarding transaxles, please do not hesitate to contact me.

I look forward to a long relationship with everyone here on the board.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2 work
(720) 980-9407 cell
Old 03-26-2008, 05:45 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Thanks Erik -- I have a question regarding what gearing to run in my lightened '73, which has a 250 hp 3.2L motor (i.e. it is pretty torquey and is meant as a street motor).

I only use the car as a hotrod street car - no DEs or track or autoX. What gears should I run?

The 915 has a 7:31 R&P.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Joseph Mills
Instructor

Hi Erik!

A few months ago, Erik purchased a G50 tranny from the 88 Carrera I'm parting out. They fullfilled every request I had. Thanks to them, the shipping was painless as well as the transaction itself. Very professional.

Thanks guys.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:54 PM
911S3.6
Pro

Where are you located?
Old 03-27-2008, 09:18 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Erik - looks like the Carquip website is "under construction"... have some questions on a rebuild of my '84 911 trans while I'm doing the clutch... researching options on picking up a rebuild trans & just doing the swap or finding a local guy to rebuild, etc. What would we be looking at for cost, and exchange / core? Mine's currently got 1st gear issues, unless nearly stopped it'll grind, 2nd gear's hard to get into without rev-matching. Been like this for awhile and you just get used to what to do / what not to do.

Timeframe - next 30 days. Clutch is totally shot & I need to start moving on this.

Thanks.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Erik @ Carquip
Former Vendor

Thanks for the questions, I have PM'ed some of you but here are a few answers, as well.

Carquip is located in Boulder, Colorado. We have been in business for 35 years and have recently made huge steps to expand. I currently hold the position of sales manager. I typically work with the transaxle side of things here.

Every gearbox that we put out carries a 12 month / 12K warranty and is the best rebuild, in my humble opinion, available. No shortcuts are taken.

For the gentleman that has first and second issues. You synchro rings are shot. They will need replacement. You will probably need to replace the 1/2 operating sleeve, as well.

In terms of pricing for rebuilds. This gets a bit more difficult as the parts the will need to be replaced will vary from gearbox to gearbox. I feel safe, however, in estimating approximately $1,500 on a typical rebuild. It may be slightly more, it may be slightly less, but it is a pretty safe number.

I have a gearbox exchange program available too, but it is going to be a bit more then that, typically $2,495. The premium coming in due to the fact that we have them in stock ready to go out same day.

I hope that this information has been helpful. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly with any questions you might have.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2

Quick Reply: Gearing solutions and an Introduction