Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What are your thoughts on this car

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Really weird, it's got a fuel cell but it has seats that no steward would ever allow to be used in any race venue that I've been involved with. Also, putting coil overs on a Targa is kind of like putting a Hemi in a Nash Metro - why, why, why? This car is like the house that won't sell, even in a hot market. You go to look at it, and discover that the kitchen has three walls - one orange, one lime green, and one chocolate brown. The guy who owns the house might think that it's cool, and market it as professionally decorated, but the fact is that no one else likes it and almost everyone hates to paint.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Way, way, way overpriced. You can buy a class-winning PCA race car with fresh engine and tranny for much less than that.
I agree with Pete. What's it supposed to be? Some kind of garage queen track car? That harness setup isn't even legal for PCA DEs let alone racing yet it has a fuel cell?
Old 03-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That car was owned by someone who, on a cold winter day, got a Performance Products cataloge and his grandmother's estate.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:53 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RacingBeat
gothing i guess you paved the way for me because they admitted the 158k miles on that pale yellow targa........

(nope not a lucky guess, i think we talked about that car one time before on this forum)
RacingBeat,

You are correct.

I met the new owner about 16 months ago when DCAutomotive hosted an openhouse/tour.
He seems to be enjoying the Targa but have not seen him since...

John
Old 03-20-2008, 08:57 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by douglas bray
That car was owned by someone who, on a cold winter day, got a Performance Products cataloge and his grandmother's estate.
LMAO!!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2008, 11:03 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Amen to that.

I bet someone bought a low mile cream puff, then bolted all this quazi racing stuff on it and now Ray's trying to get a mint for the car. It's a car without a focus... It's no longer a mint street/concours car with low miles, and according to others, it's an unuseable setup for track use (I have no clue when it comes to track cars...).

It'll take money to make this car "right" again. Either get it back to bone stock or spend the dollars to get it ready for track use.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:06 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I'm gonna have to break the rules and use myself as quote of the week....
Old 03-20-2008, 11:13 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

My personal feeling is if you replaced the front and rear bumpers, the rear deck lid, the exhaust, the rear view mirrors, and repainted the headlight rings white, this would be one hell of a car. I do love the can can red leather although the lower dash in red looks a bit cheezy.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:18 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
My personal feeling is if you replaced the front and rear bumpers, the rear deck lid, the exhaust, the rear view mirrors, and repainted the headlight rings white, this would be one hell of a car. I do love the can can red leather although the lower dash in red looks a bit cheezy.

So in other words it would look like my car except cost twice as much, except with out the fuel cell and silly racing harness?
Old 03-20-2008, 11:22 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Ok here the story I got. I gave this car some thought. I spoke with RPM and the shop that did the work(speedwerks..Dave Brown). The car does have heat. The PO owner spent a boatload of cash on this car. I believe the interior was installed later on.(not the original interior). The suspension has coilovers,944 turbo brakes, front oilcooler, fuel cell, ssi exhaust, custom muffler,g50 tranny, limited slip(could have short gear ratios..not sure), adjustable hollow sway bars among a few other things(oh and the hideous front spoiler that would need an immediate change out). The shop told me the PO was just a money's no object kind of guy. Why a targa? don't know..But the shop mentioned when they did the work the car had only 2500 miles(a little over a year ago). I wish I lived near there, to really take a closer look. While a targa may not be to everyone's liking the fun factor would probably pretty high with this car.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:32 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by old man neri
So in other words it would look like my car except cost twice as much, except with out the fuel cell and silly racing harness?
Exactly, except that I like your car better!
Old 03-20-2008, 11:50 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

It does have heat. Backdated heat. you can get the parts in that cataloge I mentioned...
Old 03-21-2008, 12:16 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Originally Posted by speednme
Ok here the story I got. I gave this car some thought. I spoke with RPM and the shop that did the work(speedwerks..Dave Brown). The car does have heat. The PO owner spent a boatload of cash on this car. I believe the interior was installed later on.(not the original interior). The suspension has coilovers,944 turbo brakes, front oilcooler, fuel cell, ssi exhaust, custom muffler,g50 tranny, limited slip(could have short gear ratios..not sure), adjustable hollow sway bars among a few other things(oh and the hideous front spoiler that would need an immediate change out). The shop told me the PO was just a money's no object kind of guy. Why a targa? don't know..But the shop mentioned when they did the work the car had only 2500 miles(a little over a year ago). I wish I lived near there, to really take a closer look. While a targa may not be to everyone's liking the fun factor would probably pretty high with this car.
So for that kind of money.....is that what you really want? If so go for it.

What are you looking for anyways?
Old 03-21-2008, 12:57 AM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by old man neri
So for that kind of money.....is that what you really want? If so go for it.

What are you looking for anyways?
I like the upgrades but very hesitant on the price(overpriced for a car I can't/won't go to Texas to view). If that would have been a coupe I would have been all over it. I've owned coupes before but never a targa or cab. I think an introduction to either should probably be something very close to stock..any advice on targas or cabs?

Now what I would love to find is an 89 Coupe in guards red with tan interior, full leather, low miles, full service records, books and limited slip....That's not asking for much...right?
Old 03-21-2008, 01:02 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Originally Posted by speednme
Now what I would love to find is an 89 Coupe in guards red with tan interior, full leather, low miles, full service records, books and limited slip....That's not asking for much...right?
You could probably find something close for 20-25K and then have 10K left over to do whatever you wanted to it.

Like I said in your other previous thread 1) the more specific you are the harder/longer it be, 2) Don't worry so much about low miles, worry about maintenance/history.

Cheers and good luck.

Quick Reply: What are your thoughts on this car