Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Warning! Potential Failure Point on 911s with Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 05:14 PM
AJ88CAB
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

So does that mean we solved the mystery

Well, it's just about quitin time here on the East Coast, FedEx just delivered my new master cylinder from Pelican, and the GF will be here in a couple hours, so hopefully I get to do my three favorite things this weekend....Fix the car, drive the car, and, well you know....
Old 03-21-2008, 05:16 PM
scarceller
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK,

This is a very good theory. For that matter what if someone just bumps the cable while working on the car and cracks the anchor?

But I tend to agree, once the anchor is cracked all bets are off because the cable's outer shell can pull away from the anchor and then not return back in place. Did I get it?

Originally Posted by AJ88CAB
My theory, at least for the Carrera setup....

The Bowden tube is pretty stiff. When the anchor breaks as shown on the first post & #14, the CC cable assembly is free to move. When you depress the throttle the cable would normally stay put. But, since there is nothing holding it now (broken fitting) the stiffness of the Bowden tube can pull it back as much as an inch (post #14). when you release the throttle the CC cable in now 1 inch "shorter" and the end of the tube can catch on the broken anchor and hold the throttle open. It hasn't happened to me but I could see it happening based on the pictures posted.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Now I got to get back to work.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:22 PM
scarceller
Racer

Peter,

Yes you are correct about picture #1 in post #1, I missed the bracket with the slot , it's out of focus in the background. Thanks for pointing this out.

So all CC cables seem to have the slotted design.

The trouble begins if the anchor point gets cracked (How or why it gets cracked I'm not sure) once it's cracked it can pull away from the anchor bracket and not return back to place. I agree with AJ88CAB about this theroy.

Last, we all agree that by design the CC cable only moves when CC is activated? This is my understanding.

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
In post #1 the pictures do show the slotted bracket, which allows the CC cable to float with no outside influence. My '82 is the same, and every other CIS car, from memory, also uses the same design. The CC cable is never supposed to move unless the CC is activated.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Is this the first post in history that we all agree on the cause and the solution? I was actually thinking it could be a tranny or DME issue. ;') Roll credits.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:48 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I had this exact same thing happen right before the haripin ta sebring (at a DE) on a fairly new engine - when I pushed in the clutch the engine would start racing towards redline. I quickly dropped a gear and rode the breaks around until I could pit.

I needed a spatula to pop me off the seat. Definitely check if your plastic connector is broken. It's part of my DE checklist now.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:18 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 132 Posts

Had this problem about 25 years ago. Glad it didn't cause an accident for you.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:33 AM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

I actually left the funniest part of the story out of my original post.

When this first happened, at an indicated 80 which is probably a real 72 according to my GPS on other days, I tried to brake and unstick it. I tried that several times, braking softly, and then a little harder. No good. Then I tried accerating, and unfortunately, every time I sped up, the car would stick at the new higher speed. Just as I got set to pull over, a state trooper pulls up along side, gives me an admonishing glance, and then speeds up and drives off! He must have seen my brakes on and off, speeding up to what must now be at least 80 real mph (in a 65). All I could think was, "This should know that he is riding next to a Porsche that can't stop!" Ahh, NJ's finest!
Old 03-22-2008, 02:56 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

The CC cable does move when CC is actuated. However, the accelerator cable is also attached to it and this movement pushes the cable out causing the problem. If that cable outer sheathing is broken where the plastic threaded area joins it, that is a potential catastrophy.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:02 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

I tried to post 2 pictures of my set-up, but they apparently aren't coming through.

Quick Reply: Warning! Potential Failure Point on 911s with Cruise Control