Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

YouTube

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default YouTube

I'm not sure if this is OT; I am trying to upload a P-car related video. This has become quite a challenge, primarily because YT's help categories don't really offer much help. My first few attempts were rejected due to "file format" issues, but then I discovered that I had an option to use a different format (mjpeg). I changed the settings as necessary, made a new movie from the same video, went to YT and hit the "upload" button. Instead of 10 seconds and poof, the computer went to work - for 5 minutes, then 10 minutes, then 30 minutes, then...let's just say that more than three hours later, when I went to bed, it was still uploading. Sometime in the night the upload was finished, and I had a screen for my video available on YT this morning. New problem, I had perfect audio, but no video - just a black screen. I re-loaded/updated Adobe, that didn't work, so I assumed that nobody else could see the video either so I deleted it. I went into my "recent documents" file and discovered that I had two entries for my video, one will play perfectly on my computer, the other one separates into two files; one audio and one video. I went back into YT, hit the upload button, browsed, found the file that plays on my computer, and now, more than two hours later, it's still uploading. Oh, I think that the video has a run time of about 8.5 minutes. I'm not ready to give up yet, but I'm getting close!
Old 03-13-2008, 04:10 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Pete, remember last saturday, it's in thru the nose, out thru the mouth.

or the one my grand mother always used: remember who you are.

What name did you use to upload? I can't find anything by your real name.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:26 PM
JABSEA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How big a file is your finished video on the computer? My limited experience with YT is that big files don't work that well... Can you save the video in a format that compresses the size more?
Old 03-13-2008, 04:31 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

Pete, your 600mb file is HUGE!!!! Yes it will take a considerable amount of time to upload such a big file. It is probably a very high quality video. 600mb and 8.5 min must be a very high quality. Is there a setting that you could save it as a smaller file or down grade the quality. Youtube will do it's own conversion and down grading to reduce the size of the video regardless.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:44 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by old man neri
Pete, your 600mb file is HUGE!!!! Yes it will take a considerable amount of time to upload such a big file. It is probably a very high quality video. 600mb and 8.5 min must be a very high quality. Is there a setting that you could save it as a smaller file or down grade the quality. Youtube will do it's own conversion and down grading to reduce the size of the video regardless.
So that explains a lot! I used a Sony Handycam Video 8 recorder (CCD-TR91) to do the original footage, and the audio is in stereo. I did the tape to computer transfer with a Pinnacle Systems "Dazzle" DVD recorder, and did not notice any quality level or file reduction options but I'll watch the tutorial again. While YT is uploading I don't want to do anything on the computer that might disturb that process so I'll check back a little later. Thanks!
Old 03-13-2008, 05:14 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete, I used to have no problem creating videos but had a bummer of a time sharing when I used the old ATI All-in-Wonder Pro video cards. They used an almost proprietary codec that no one else seemed to be able to download. Make sure the codec used is publicly available / standard format?

Good luck. I'll skip the "YouFail" YouTube spoof references.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 84_Carrera
Pete, I used to have no problem creating videos but had a bummer of a time sharing when I used the old ATI All-in-Wonder Pro video cards. They used an almost proprietary codec that no one else seemed to be able to download. Make sure the codec used is publicly available / standard format?

Good luck. I'll skip the "YouFail" YouTube spoof references.
"YouFail" - LOL!

This is fascinating stuff. I just read in this morning's paper that people are starting to get nervous about networks crashing, or slowing, because all of the NCAA men's b-ball games are going to be streamed live. Apparently moving images take up lots of Internet capacity (which I always thought was almost without limits), so much so that in '07 YouTube alone used as much bandwidth as the entire Internet did in the year 2000. And what am I doing? Trying to upload a video that's all moving images!
Old 03-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

No, this is not an attempt to bore you to tears, but we are "uploaded!" Only took about 6.5 hours, and YouTube is now in a "processing" stage...
Old 03-13-2008, 07:29 PM
red67
Racer

holy cr*p!
i gotta see this when its processed.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:28 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

It happened again , check my other new thread !

In desperation I'm now burning a DVD-RW, and I will use that as the upload source for the next attempt. I have not been able to access any YT help sources to get some possible reasons for the problem. The footage is our own personal property, their is no affiliation with any other parties, there are no copyright issues, I just don't know why it won't upload the video... We'll try the disc this evening.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:23 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

The disc divided the film into separate audio and video files - so much for that attempt. The thing plays good (although I think that it's kind of amateurish) on the computer, and the disc plays well on the TV. I'm beginning to think that Red's right, the darn thing is just too big...on to the cutting room.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:00 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,114 Likes on 796 Posts

Pete the bottom line is you are just going to high res for the medium you are using. low quality stuf will do fine. I took some stuff with my digital camera and uploaded it and it worked fine. low res but did the job . I used myspace

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=1202081427
Old 03-13-2008, 11:27 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ice, that thing is jumping around like a hummingbird. sounds good.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:46 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

ice: Good one!

douglas: Cool new avatar, but somebody stole your license plate!
Old 03-14-2008, 03:37 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Mr. ice,
Your oil gauge really likes music huh. My druck press gauge did similar once in a while.

Last edited by rnln; 03-14-2008 at 04:34 AM.

Quick Reply: YouTube