Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

toggle switches for the windows anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:03 AM
nicklouse10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default toggle switches for the windows anyone?

Hi,

I'm planning on fitting chrome toggle style switches for my electric windows (1980 SC) the car has been changed from manual to electric windows and the wiring isn't up to scratch so I'm replacing it and fitting switches in the centre console.

I'm struggling to find a plain chrome toggle switch that functions the way I need it to (the same functionality as a rocker switch) Every toggle switch I see is exactly that: a toggle ON and OFF whereas I need a two way momentary switch, I think?

has anyone fitted such an item or even know where I could find some?

advice greatly appreciated as always

Nick
Old 03-11-2008, 01:59 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

At most electronic parts houses, you should be able to get what you want, ON-OFF-ON, momentary switch. I just don't know about all of the wire hook-ups, being our window switches have 5 wire connections. If you separate the Drivers and Passenger circuits and just have the 2 switches on the console, each with 1, ON-OFF-ON momentary switch, it should work, because you would no longer have the need to have the extra Passenger switch with the Driver side switch, then another passenger door switch. You could pare down the circuit to work with just two switches.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:00 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

some one used BMW (lighted) - also some use 993 switches

search here & on Pelican
Old 03-11-2008, 04:29 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

A neat feature of the BMW switches is the back lighting of the switches. I know the switches in my 750iL work great, and you don't really need to see them to use, being they are touch featured, the up and the down have different shapes. The down is concave, while the up is convex on the switches, and the indicators light up. A nice glow. But they use basically the same wiring diagram as the P-car.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:42 PM
nicklouse10
Instructor

Hi Guys,

I'd looked at a few switches including the back-lit BMW ones which are very nice. Then I came across this setup in a BMW Mini and really liked it. I have the centre console in the pic fitted in my car (although in Black instead of Tan) and I think this switch setup would look really smart on the fascia panel in front of the gear stick.

I've bought a set of the chrome dividers and now would like to get hold of the ON-OFF-ON momentary toggle switches. I'm not fussed about the wiring as I will be re-wiring the whole thing from scratch.

I've actually just bought a set of these BMW Mini switches from eBay for a very cheap price, but I suspect the window switches are an integral part of the unit and that I wont be able to remove them cleanly and reinstall them in my own console. We shall see.

I'll post some pics if I manage to get it all together the way I want it.

Quick Reply: toggle switches for the windows anyone?