Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Lost the clutch on the way home tonight...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008 | 05:48 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, losing the clutch is a whole lot cheaper than losing the engine!
Old 03-11-2008 | 06:32 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 84_Carrera
Well, losing the clutch is a whole lot cheaper than losing the engine!
+1 on that comment !!

Do share your technique/approach for getting her home..

BTW,..was the Wife informed (on that phone call) of the mechanical failure of (the) inbound "Flight P911" and it's Pilot's sense of urgency? (really just kidding)

Best of luck to you...
Old 03-13-2008 | 02:27 AM
bleachii
Advanced

Originally Posted by kusee pee
Fred, sorry to hear about your misfortune but congratulations on your attitude to the whole scenario. I hope that I am equally philosophical when my next breakdown occurs. You are a role-model to us.
Amen brother....there'd a been a whole lotta 'efins coming out of my mouth. Maybe even a few with my mother thrown in for good measure.
Old 03-13-2008 | 04:03 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dshepp806
+1 on that comment !!

Do share your technique/approach for getting her home..

BTW,..was the Wife informed (on that phone call) of the mechanical failure of (the) inbound "Flight P911" and it's Pilot's sense of urgency? (really just kidding)

Best of luck to you...
Hehehehehe, well, "carefully", rev/popping out of gear as you approach stops (I gained newfound hatred for people who didn't flow through intersections but rather mashed the brakes for the yellow lights), slowing or going to minimize stops, squeezing by on the right for those turning left when possible, and gassing to slip the disc (I was getting partial disengagement) when necessary.

Yes, I called her first with the "might not make it home without a flatbed as I think I fragged the clutch" notice, then later with the "Be a dear & open the garage door, would you? I'm right down the street."
Old 03-13-2008 | 07:14 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Fred,

Funny as all get out..I can only imagine....

Use of the term "fragged" is killer. I shall use this for the next year,..as I see many things that are "fragged"...kick butt!!!

Best of luck!!
Old 03-16-2008 | 10:36 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Well now it's totally "fragged". Haven't had a chance to get underneath yet (might today), but tried to back her out of the garage in order to work on a couple of friends' cars yesterday (SVT Contour front camber kit in the AM, & Audi TTQ 1.8T Timing Belt & Water Pump in the PM). Well, got her outbound on her own power, and then heard a nice TWANG, and her pedal went to the floor... with the car on the way into a nice evergreen... So whale tail in the spruce, got her stopped, and we ended up pushing her back in last night. FUN stuff. Oh, and while I was sipping the Sam Adams Light, Andy (TT owner) was getting so frustrated with the t-belt tensioner that I took over & went for the Jack Daniels. :-D I gotta admit, a TT Timing belt isn't exactly "easy", but I've dealt with worse. What ticked me off was, NO marks on the belt, just marker-penning the old & new t-belts... and this on an interference engine! wasn't happy at all with that.

But, I got a free lunch out of the deal, and the poor SOBs let me buy an egg, cheese & shroom grinder for lunch. Blazing Saddles got nuthin' on me when I get going. :-D
Old 03-16-2008 | 04:08 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 84_Carrera
Well now it's totally "fragged". Haven't had a chance to get underneath yet (might today), but tried to back her out of the garage in order to work on a couple of friends' cars yesterday (SVT Contour front camber kit in the AM, & Audi TTQ 1.8T Timing Belt & Water Pump in the PM). Well, got her outbound on her own power, and then heard a nice TWANG, and her pedal went to the floor... with the car on the way into a nice evergreen... So whale tail in the spruce, got her stopped, and we ended up pushing her back in last night. FUN stuff. Oh, and while I was sipping the Sam Adams Light, Andy (TT owner) was getting so frustrated with the t-belt tensioner that I took over & went for the Jack Daniels. :-D I gotta admit, a TT Timing belt isn't exactly "easy", but I've dealt with worse. What ticked me off was, NO marks on the belt, just marker-penning the old & new t-belts... and this on an interference engine! wasn't happy at all with that.

But, I got a free lunch out of the deal, and the poor SOBs let me buy an egg, cheese & shroom grinder for lunch. Blazing Saddles got nuthin' on me when I get going. :-D

"Telegram for Mongo"..............

Good Luck...
Old 03-16-2008 | 04:35 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

Wow Fred Sounds like an adventure . i remember the pic last year on the jackstands as you did the susension .. i can only imagine the jackstands for this one.
Old 03-16-2008 | 06:52 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Well the PLAN was to get a Bend-Pak low-rise lift, source the parts, prep & all, then blast it out later this spring. Annnnnnnd not so much now, might be some nice stand action going on after all.

Quick Reply: Lost the clutch on the way home tonight...