Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need some pricing guidance - 1973 Targa.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 04:02 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Need some pricing guidance - 1973 Targa.

If anyone could give me some pricing guidance on this car I would appreciate it. I'm considering a purchase but have never owned a 911 younger than an '89 so I'm not as well versed on these. I know it can probably swing based on condition etc but if you guys could give me a ballpark that would be great. Here is the seller's description:

1973 Targa T european model originally with zenith carbs now weber. recently painted white originally ivory. Minor rust, good engine slight syncro hangup from first to second 70,000 original miles good top refreshed interior fuchs and new tires.

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2008, 05:04 PM
Rick K
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These cars can truly be all over the place based on condition. As you probably know, Targas don't command the premium that coupes do. Also, rust on these early cars (pre '77) can really be a deal breaker. "Slight rust" can sometimes mean, "slight rust that can be seen during a walk around the car"...a good rule of thumb, assume rust is like an iceberg, if you can see a little bit of it, there is bound to be much more in the areas you can't see upon a visual inspection.

As echoed many many times on this and other p-car sites - do yourself a favor and get a qualified mechanic to go over the car (is the car in DC as you appear to be, if so, I have a few suggestions for p-car wrenches to talk to) and get leakdowns/compression on the engine.

Also, if this car is local to DC, go the the local DIY site for the DC metro area (dorkiphus.net) and see if anybody knows the car personally.

Price-wise, a decent "T" coupe w/ original paint, no rust and needing little to no work can probably fetch 17-25K. Take a bit off the price for the targa. Take a bit off for the lack of original paint (make sure the paint wasn't a Maaco job). Depending on the tranny issues, that can be as simple as shifter bushings, all the way to needing a full rebuild - from $200 - $3000. Etc.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:23 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks Rick - I appreciate the info.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:08 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

maybe $20 - depends on above + other things...

Quick Reply: Need some pricing guidance - 1973 Targa.