Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Plea for help viewing 1980 911 SC Targa at McKenna Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 08:10 AM
GAC911
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plea for help viewing 1980 911 SC Targa at McKenna Porsche

I am interested in the 1980 911 SC Targa currently advertised in the Rennlist classifieds by McKenna Porsche (Ad Number 7473). Unfortunately, I am unable to see the car in person as I am a Brit expat living in the Middle East. Some Porsche friends and Rennlist members suggested I post a plea for help.

If someone who has knowlege of the early 80's 911 SC is going to be dropping by McKenna Porsche in Norwalk CA, could they take a look at the SC Targa and let me have their opinion of the car. From the photos the restoration work looks good, but defects in paint work, pannel gaps etc can't be seen from the photos. I would also be interested in finding out how much work has been done on the engine as it is a high mileage car.

If it is still as good as it seems then I will arrange for a PPI. Would McKenna be a good bet for that, or can anyone reccommend an independant.

Many thanks in advance.

Gordon
Old 03-03-2008, 09:51 PM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gordon, I live fairly close to McKenna.

I am not an expert at build quality. But, I would be glad to give you my personal opinion. I can send digital photos as well.

As you probably know, dealers in general and McKenna is particular overprice their cars. Have they shown desire to negotiate on the price? The last time I was there, I did check it out briefly (comparing it to my car). If I remember correctly, it was not perfect by any means.

I also know independent local shops for a PPI. I would not get a PPI from the selling dealeship. Definite conflict of interest.

Send me a pm and we can discuss some specifics.

Tony
Old 03-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Bob S
Instructor

I agree with Tony, never get a PPI from the selling dealership....
Old 03-04-2008, 10:43 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Call Callas Rennsport

310 370-7038 they are in Torrance which is close to Norwalk

Good luck
Old 03-06-2008, 02:37 PM
GAC911
AutoX

Tony.

Thanks for your reply. I woudl be interested to discuss your impressions further. My email is in my profile.

Gordon
Old 03-07-2008, 01:53 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

OK guys I have seen the car. I got dragged out to bellflower tonight and went by Mc Kenna at about 8:30 PM. I didn't see it at first 'cause they were closed, but tucked in the back, around the side was this adorable little silver targa with her top off. A salesman from the Audi building came over and looked with me. She was about 15 feet in under spotlights and behind glass on the showroom floor. The salesman called the manager on duty who only knew that it was the nicest used car he had ever seen. It looked flawless from where I was at. I think it is definitely worth a second look. Now, I did see something that really made me think and I'm not sure about it....it had a third brake light. Not the low fog, but a triclops. I don't remember that coming around 'till high school...'84 or '85. Other than that, she looks great under the lights at 15 feet. I say someone should really give her another look.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:05 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good catch regarding the brake light. That definitely was not standard or even an option for SCs. I do recall seeing them offered as "add-on" kits back in the 1990s through vendors like Automation and Performance Products before they merged. I paid attention when I had my 79 SC Targa...

Good luck with your search.

-Blake
Old 03-10-2008, 02:19 AM
GAC911
AutoX

Everyone, thanks for your help and comments.

The dealer has no history of the car or of the restoration, so I agree the price might be a bit steep. Will see if they will move on the price. If they do I'll try Callas Rensport for a PPI.

Gordon
Old 03-10-2008, 02:30 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Gordon, the salesman promised to call me and never did. What is the price and milage of the car?
Old 03-10-2008, 02:58 AM
GAC911
AutoX

Details of the car in Rennsport classifieds, ad Number 7473 (no 6 on a Porsche Targa search). They are asking for $18,950 and it has done 148K miles, although it has been restored. No indication though of the work done on the engine - my concern is that it still might need a top end re-build.

Gordon
Old 03-10-2008, 03:07 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I'll get out there again tomorrow and give her a good look. I'll check the quarter panels for factory texture and look for rust in the usual spots. I'll look for paint on the motor mounts and signs of recent motor work. The patina of the interior is a big issue to me. This isn't going to be a PPI, I just want to look at the car again. Is there anything that you really want me to pay attention to? I know you didn't ask me to do this I just really want to look at the car again.....
Old 03-10-2008, 03:44 AM
GAC911
AutoX

Douglas,

That would be great if you could take a look at her. I really need to know whether she is worth splashing out $300-400 on a full PPI, so I guess it is the points that you have mentioned, plus panel gaps (doors/boot/engine lid) and underbody condition. I have been emailing Vale'ry Shpololyansky at McKenna so she would be the ideal contact and hopefully would let you start her up/take her for a spin.

If you impression is good I will get the full PPI.

Many thanks again.

Gordon
Old 03-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Gordon, I would have no reservations about getting a PPI on that car. the list of flaws is very short and the plus list is much longer.

Down side: triclops light, faided heater pulls between seats, driver's side door pocket is bent, remnants of hands-free phone system, none of them detract from the car.

Up side: Alpine sterio (detatchable face) w/Ipod jack in glove box, new A/C rotory compressor, new flawless paint that was done correctly, interior is original, underside of the car is clean, motor looks well kept, correct battery, no dust or rust in trunk, targa top folded in trunk, original swaybar mounts, this car had the most correct panel alignment I have ever seen. The trunk was perfect, the smile was perfect. the rear deck lid was a little close as I raised it to see the motor, but it had never touched. The doors even latched correctly.

Salesman claims $20,000 in restoration recipts. says car was a donation from an estate and the $18,500 will be going to a childrens hospital.

I took a dozen or so pictures and will have them up late tonight.

Here is a question for the guys: should the fender lips have rock guard on them like my Carrera? They were as smooth as a baby, but showed no sign of having been replacements.

I didn't get the keys, but man I wanted them.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Now that I think about, it the clutch had an inch or two of free drop proir to pulling the cable.....
Old 03-11-2008, 12:53 AM
GAC911
AutoX

Wink

Douglas,

Many thanks for your comments. It seems to confirm my impression from the photographs that this is a well sorted and genuire 911 SC. I have requested copies of the restoration receipts and am going to go for the PPI. I just hope that this thread hasn't generated too much interest!

Thanks again

Gordon

Quick Reply: Plea for help viewing 1980 911 SC Targa at McKenna Porsche