Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Coucours prep for Weber carburetors

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 07:13 PM
1QuickS
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coucours prep for Weber carburetors

I would like some guidance as to what is considered correct restoration for the exterior of Weber carbs for the early 911s. Bead blasting bad; walnut shell blasting good? Don't blast, dip? What about surface oxidation after the blasting? Is there a hard wax that may be applied to slow the oxidation? Should the brass jet holders, etc be polished, replaced, or remachined to provide the same turning marks as original?

Also, I placed a thread earlier regarding the straw-yellow finish on some of the Webers which appears to be an alodine (chem coat) finish. Haven't had much success finding a solution. Pierce Manifolds said they didn't know either...

Any new thoughts besides why did I mispell concours?

Last edited by 1QuickS; 02-26-2008 at 11:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-25-2008, 08:40 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The yellowish finish is really a tough one, and may no longer be environmentally possible to reproduce. I was never able to figure it out, or reproduce it, on the many Webers that I've rebuilt. I saw a few sets of carb bodies done by a machine shop (throttle bodies, etc.) many years ago, the finish was destroyed by sand blasting so I know exactly what you're trying to attempt.

Regarding jet carriers, I just polish them on a relatively fine wire wheel, which produces a nice finish.

If you contact PMO in Santa Monica Richard might have some answers for you - the best way to contact him is by fax (310) 394-6313.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:40 AM
1QuickS
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Peter,

I've talked to Richard Parr about this already. I've been in contact with a restorer that routinely has his cars included in the Pebble Beach concours and his comment was walnut shell blast those items that cannot be replaced. I was hoping to get access to a concours judge for their input.

Quick Reply: Coucours prep for Weber carburetors