Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

On the subject of front strut replacement....

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 12:22 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question On the subject of front strut replacement....

I previously posted regarding the options for replacing a supposedly bent Bilstein strut housing. I found the options to be pretty slim, as in buy a new one (or pair) or buy a used one (or pair) and then add new inserts to the mix to enusre proper function, etc.

I understand that these cars are in fact performance oriented and that owning one was never cheap (nor will it ever be!).

I did however come up with an alternative that I would like to discuss here.

Is there any reason NOT to consider replacing the Bilstein strut assembly with a Boge strut assembly (on BOTH sides, of course!)?

Here are some pros:
1- Cost is far less for the Boge replacements (struts & inserts).
2- Inserts can be from at least 3 different manufacturers (Boge, Bilstein, Koni, etc.)

Here are cons:
1- A used Bilstein is still used, and therefore the potential for it being bent is there, regardless of how slight.
2- Inserts are only compatible from Bilstein (not necessarily a bad thing, but I'm factoring in variety as a good thing).

Is there anything that I haven't considered? Do Boges have different alignment capabilities than the Bilsteins? I wouldn't think so, but if so, perhaps that would make a compelling reason to choose one over the other.
+++

Quick Reply: On the subject of front strut replacement....