Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1976 Carrera 3.0 Resto Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 01:35 AM
BorrowedFunCarrera3.0
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1976 Carrera 3.0 Resto Assistance

I reached out to this group about 3-4 years ago and I appreciate the responses but ended up being a few years from actually acquiring this beast. It turns out now I am the proud "full-time caregiver" to a 1976 Carrera 3.0 in need of some TLC. The motor and trans were rebuilt in 2001, and since then it might have seen 3000 miles of driving, but mostly sat in a warehouse. It rides like a go-kart with no suspension, accellerates like a bat out of hell, and has some body cancer and door closing issues. I can tell this car is unique based on what I have read and would like to put some serious work into a restoration. In its stock form I certainly think it would be enough performance for me, however, I would like to "update" it with some added drivability enhancements including brakes and suspension. What experience can you impart to me on where to focus my efforts and in what order I should complete the resto. Initially I would think to focus on drivetrain, suspension, steering, and brakes. Then move to the body and finally the interior. What is your feedback? Where is the best place to purchase parts and get upgrade advice? Thanks in advance, I will certainly keep all updated!
Old 02-19-2008, 10:17 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

To begin you may find it most helpful to go out and find a good Porsche mechanic to give it a good look. He may see things that you aren't looking for. I'd hate to see you get $1,000's into something that didn't need work and find something that did. You may have perfect suspention after all and want to save your money for rust and paint. Where are you located? If you are in a town with a rennlister and can make friends you could get free advice and free labor. Did you get any paperwork that would tell us what has been done?
Old 02-20-2008, 01:50 AM
BorrowedFunCarrera3.0
Advanced

Yea, I do have some paperwork on what was done back in 2001. Seems like a standard rebuild, the company was MotorMeister in Downey. They did have some "upgrades" such as shot peening the rods and ARP rod bolts. Knowing my father-in-law, who owns the car, he probably said yes to whatever they recommended. It ended up being a $9k engine rebuild. There are also some receipts for misc brake parts such as calipers and mater cylinder. I certainly agree that a good Porsche mechanic should have a look. Has anyone had experience with Haydon Brothers Automotive in Placentia, CA ? They usually have an impressive line of Porsche's outside. I am in Anaheim Hills and would be happy to meet some local Rennlisters or attend some drives/meetings. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help!
Old 02-20-2008, 02:06 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

First off, the name "MotorMeister" is not well liked by some. I won't hold it against you. You are only a half hour or 45 minutes away from me. I'm sure Haydon Brothers is a fine place to take it for inspection if they have older cars around too.
I am curious about something....would you want this car less or more if it wasn't your father-in-law's car? what does your wife think? remember, go-cart is a good thing.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:02 AM
BorrowedFunCarrera3.0
Advanced

Well I didnt choose Motormeister so I guess no harm. At any rate, I'm not sure I understand the father-in-law question, but I am sick in love with this car. I dropped it off with Hayden Bros. this morning and am thinking I will be up all night wondering if she is cold or warm, being cared for, if they caress her with a soft touch... you know. At any rate, will let you know what they come up with for recommendations. Wife digs the car and thinks it positive that I get into a hobby again, seeing as work has been my life since I gave up riding motocross every weekend a few years ago. Any good advice on local drives/clubs to get involved in would be great. Thanks!
Old 02-29-2008, 01:40 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

get some sleep. She will be fine. If any problems come up it'll just give you a reason to spend some quality time with her.

Quick Reply: 1976 Carrera 3.0 Resto Assistance