Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

powder coating chrome window trim?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2002, 02:56 AM
SB
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post powder coating chrome window trim?

I have a 73' wich will be painted soon. 1973 seems to be the year when the factory couldn't decide whether go with chrome or black trim i.e. engine lid grill(black),turn signal trim(black), horn grills(black),door handles(chrome), window trim(chrome). I don't have a problem with chrome,i just want it to match. Everything is out/off the car, so now would be the time to change it. I talked to two powder coat shops, the first said that the chrome had to be stripped before they could coat them. The second said that the aluminum would be destroyed in the stripping and they powder coat over the chrome. Does anyone have any experience with this? Does the coating last over the chrome? Was it hard getting the trim back in, being a little thicker? Finally, what are some of your opinions on the all black trim look on an otherwise stock looking 73? I will be running a little wider rim/tire than stock, though. Thanks, Steve
Old 11-30-2002, 03:35 AM
911pcars
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had my trimwork powder coated on my '69 about 20 years and its held up fine. I don't remember them doing any special prep prior to painting; maybe they blasted them first to put some teeth on the base surface. I don't think it's chrome but polished and anodized aluminum.

The paint thickness isn't a problem for most trim pieces. The trickiest are the window frames. You have to be careful slipping the frame into the door shell so the paint doesn't scratch.

Some owners prefer the original look; others don't. Some colors look better with contrasting black; some don't. I made the decision to delete all bright trim.

Sherwood Lee
<a href="http://members.rennlist.org/911pcars" target="_blank">http://members.rennlist.org/911pcars</a>

Quick Reply: powder coating chrome window trim?