Steering Problem 79 930

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 01:36 PM
bleachii
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Problem 79 930

Hello,

I'm a new poster here and a very green mechanic. I have recently started trying to do my own work if possible on my 930. I have a few issues with the car so if I can fix a few of them myself before taking it to my mechanic I might save some money and learn along the way. I have also posted a few oil leak questions to another popular list...one person there said I should try this site so here I am

This is a more serious problem in my mind (than the oil leaks)...when this happened I stopped driving the car. There seems to be play in my steering wheel. Mostly an up/down movement about 1/4-1/2". Feels very sloppy. The movement doesn't seem to change based on the surface or angle of the car. I tested driving angled up my driveway slope and the play didn't seem to change. There is slight movement left/right as well...but mostly up/down. There was no traumatic event that triggered the problem...I just noticed it one day.

I'm not sure that description is helpful to start a diagnosis...I'm just hoping to get some opinions on where I should start. Is it possible that the steering wheel is just loose? I'm thinking it might be a bit more serious than that...like a bushing or something? Being such a rookie I don't know where to start...inside or outside of the car? Maybe this is something that should be looked at by a professional....just looking for opinions/ideas at this point.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Brian Leach
Huntington Beach, CA
Old 02-18-2008, 03:01 PM
bleachii
Advanced

Default Steering Wheel Bearing/Bushing

Upon further investigating the problem appears to be a steering wheel bearing or the bushing inside the bearing. Says requires a professional installation. Good thing is the part is about $25. Not sure about labor. Also found a 'quick fix' tech note elsewhere on the Internet so might pursue that possibility.

If anyone thinks otherwise let me know.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 02-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Brian, this sounds like the bushing at the top of the column. Very simple fix. you can get the part at Performance or Pelican. I'll get the link for you.

EDIT: I cant find it at Performance, but....I did find it on my pre-purchase build list.

It is part # 928 347 739 02 I was charged $7.92 for the part and 0.50 hours of labor at $75.00 per hour (a smokin' deal)

I found it at Pelican

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...NTdsh_pg2.htm#

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 02-18-2008 at 08:30 PM. Reason: info
Old 02-18-2008, 11:24 PM
bleachii
Advanced

I am ordering the part....$12.50. Going to try and install it myself....thanks for the reponse Douglas! I'll post back my experience.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:50 AM
bleachii
Advanced

Well....I installed the new metal bushing this weekend. Really my first time repairing anything on my own. Total cost was $12.50 for the bushing and I needed a 27mm deep socket for the steering wheel nut. I followed the pictures in the 101 projects book and used a Club to lock the steering wheel and then a breaker bar with the 27mm socket to loosen the nut. I actually had a harder time removing the c-clip...which was the next step. The install was a breeze as the new bushing fit perfectly with no real force from me.

Fearing the worst when the problem started, I feel like a kind of got away with one. Just pressed my Staples easy button and voila, steering problem solved.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:37 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

that is one of the easier fixes out there . Congrats on your accomplishments .. post pics and stick around . You will learn tonnes

Quick Reply: Steering Problem 79 930