Cabriolet roof malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 04:07 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Cabriolet roof malfunction

Automatic roof on my 1986 won't open; the roof lifts about 2 inches or so and separates from the header, but then won't go any further.
Worked fine last fall when I put the car in winter storage. Garage temp is bout 50 or so, but I wouldn't think that makes a difference.
Any suggestions how to troubleshoot this?
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:23 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a good post on Pelican about the electric top. See Cab Power Top: electrical testing DIY

Good luck. Sorry I can't help more. Mine's a manual.

Ian
Old 02-17-2008, 08:55 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by imcarthur
Good luck. Sorry I can't help more. Mine's a manual.

Ian
Thank you, Ian - at the moment I wish my top was a manual as well!
Old 03-17-2008, 11:23 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Further to my 'cabriolet top won't open' post.
Car was up on jack stands so my mechanic suggested getting the car back on the ground in case body flex was contributing to the problem. It wasn't, but in the process of retrying the top, I found that, if I gently pushed up on the right side of the roof header while depressing the opening switch, the top would act normally, so apparently we don't have electrical problems here.
I am now wondering if it is a simple problem of cleaning and lubrication of the mechanical components, and wonder if anyone has any thoughts along that line?
The top movement in general seems to be sluggish (and my battery voltage is normal, so I don't think it is the power supply).
Any suggestions are welcome.
Thank you
Old 03-19-2008, 11:21 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problems that have happened with the power assisted models, it the very reason that bought a 911 with the manual top option. Too many things can go wrong with the power assisted roof. I know that mine takes all of about 4 minutes from being in place, to then being in the top-down mode, complete, with the boot installed. A very simple task to preform! Good luck with your task!! Tony,
Old 03-20-2008, 08:50 AM
diamondcarrera
Instructor

My roof is powered and is up and down a lot (due to English climate...) never a problem but that may be down to regular use and correct lube.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:46 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the lube idea.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:37 PM
1303RS
Racer

Rick,
How old is the top? You may have an issue with the top pads being worn. If they are not supplying the right tension, the top will not rise up enough to allow the motors to pull the top back. With a power top all componets must be right. also check fluid level for the top rams.
Mark
Old 03-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Casket
6th Gear

As I didn’t see an intro thread this will be my first post here. I was a member of this forum 8 or so years ago when I had an ’85 Carrera coupe. The forum's changed a bunch since then!

I just bought an ’88 Cab with a failing right top-latch motor. I’ve already decided to disconnect the raise/lower motors and remove them even though they work fine right now. Does anyone know tough it would be to change the latch parts around to make the latch mechanism fully manual as well? Has anyone attempted this, or are folks just defeating the raise/lower motors and living with the electric latches?

Regarding the idiot light on the dash, as I peruse the information that’s been posted here and over at Pelican, I keep thinking that it’s would be possible to have the light only indicate an up and locked situation with the top if the raise/lower motors were removed. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Thanks guys.

Gary

’88 Carrera Cabriolet

Last edited by Casket; 03-20-2008 at 07:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-23-2008, 04:56 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 106 Posts

Is it possible to convert a power top to manual with the levers? Couldn't one change out the header, or just add the "levers" to make the top manual?
Old 03-29-2008, 01:11 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 1303RS
Rick,
How old is the top? You may have an issue with the top pads being worn. If they are not supplying the right tension, the top will not rise up enough to allow the motors to pull the top back. With a power top all componets must be right. also check fluid level for the top rams.
Mark
Hi Mark
Top is original (1986) and other than an unlatching problem years back (fixed with an adjustment), has worked fine since new.
Thanks for the idea about fluid; I need to look into that. Can you point me to where it would be located and type of fluid used?
Thanks again
Old 03-29-2008, 01:16 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

Slant, it doesn't take any longer to put down an auto top (in fact, it's probably quicker, as it takes me about 7 to 8 seconds to get the top down and the boot should take the same amount of time) - not sure I see your point. Of course, anything with a motor can have problems.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:30 PM
ajmarton
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your top just needs a minor adjustment. My top did that as well. (89 Cab) I took it to my local upholstery shop and the guy adjusted the male pins that go into the A piller. It took 5 minutes. He used a rubber hammer to tap the pins.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:36 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ajmarton
Your top just needs a minor adjustment. My top did that as well. (89 Cab) I took it to my local upholstery shop and the guy adjusted the male pins that go into the A piller. It took 5 minutes. He used a rubber hammer to tap the pins.
Hi AJ
Thanks for the reply.
I am not sure this is the same problem as yours was, as my top came free from the windshield frame just fine. My problem arises (pun?) after the top lifts free.
Is this the same symptom as yours?
Thanks
Old 04-02-2008, 04:06 PM
ajmarton
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No. My top would stop as it tried to separate from the windshield due to excessive drag I suspect. Once the pins were adjusted all was well.

Quick Reply: Cabriolet roof malfunction