Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Anyone have experience with redyeing Linen leather?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 11:46 AM
jpyles
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have experience with redyeing Linen leather?

I have read some articles on redyeing with good results, but none of the examples have been with Linen, only darker colors like brown or black. I have a Linen interior. Is it going to be any harder to get good results with a lighter color such as mine? I have a sample I can send in for a color-match.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

I'm "dyeing" to find out the answer to this one! There have been quite a few 911s I've passed on simply because of how much I just don't like that linen color interior. I didn't even think of this possibility.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:11 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm planning to do mine soon with Leatherique. I'm also wondering about results with Linen.

If you haven't read the post on Pelican, I recommend it. It gives me hope the results will be good.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=204374

I admit, I'm tempted to change my seats to red
Old 02-13-2008, 01:17 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 911vet
I admit, I'm tempted to change my seats to red
I don't know. I think it would look a little odd having red on red. I think the white/red combo is quite stunning.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:28 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by old man neri
I don't know. I think it would look a little odd having red on red. I think the white/red combo is quite stunning.
As you have proven yourself a wise man indeed, I value your opinion. I like the white very much. And it sure is nice in a convertible. My bimmer was black and it was seriously hot.

From the pics I've seen, Leatherique may make even Linen look new again. I'm going for it!!

I think I'll go order the stuff right now. (what does it say that I'm worried about my seats when my car is in the shop facing an engine drop and tranny repair? geez.)
Old 02-13-2008, 01:36 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

When I look at the post on Pelican and see how he was able to take a dark brown seat and change it to cork (tan), I become a bit more confident that it will work on Linen. Afterall, it is a dye and it should make it all the same color. Which is the point.

Also, here's a product on Ebay that shows a linen seat redone. Of course, it's an ad so take it with a grain of salt. But you can clearly see it really is the same seat.

http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/BMW-LEATHER-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 02-13-2008, 02:01 PM
old man neri
Drifting

As you have proven yourself a wise man indeed, I value your opinion.
I am by no means wise. Don't have the years of experience yet like others on this board. It all comes down to taste really. It's a matter of personal opinion really. And there is only one opinion that matters in this case; yours. At least that's how I see it.

Originally Posted by Shannon
(what does it say that I'm worried about my seats when my car is in the shop facing an engine drop and tranny repair? geez.)
Any word yet on what it is?
Old 02-13-2008, 03:53 PM
jpyles
Instructor

I think I'll go order the stuff right now.
Are you going to send in a sample of leather to match?

I'm very interested in your results. I'm going to probably try out the process on something small like my gearshift **** first before tackling a whole seat.

The stuff is also supposed to work on vinyl, which would be nice as my interior door pulls are also worn. I might try those too before my seat.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:11 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jpyles
Are you going to send in a sample of leather to match?
I wasn't planning to. I have the original window sticker and it states the color is "Linen." So I was trusting that.

I'm very interested in your results.
I'll take pictures and post them. I hope to do it in March.

The stuff is also supposed to work on vinyl, which would be nice as my interior door pulls are also worn.
I had also planned to do my door pulls and center console. Are the pulls vinyl?
Old 02-13-2008, 04:31 PM
jpyles
Instructor

I wasn't planning to. I have the original window sticker and it states the color is "Linen." So I was trusting that.
That's probably fine. I replaced my driver's side seat cover with a new one from Auto Intl, so I want to make sure the other seat matches that exactly. If you're going to do everything, the standard linen should probably work fine.

As far as I know - they certainly aren't leather. the gearshift and boot are leather, I think.

I look forward to your pictures and any tips you can provide. Too bad we don't live close, I'm sure I could learn something from watching the process.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:39 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Too bad we don't live close, I'm sure I could learn something from watching the process.
That would be great. But you do live in the ideal place right now... the 2008 Porsche Parade is in your backyard

I will gladly share my experience and a full set of pics. I'd like to get to work on it asap, but I have another issue with the car that takes precedence. The seats will come next.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:56 PM
jpyles
Instructor

Yeah, I actually have a chance to go to this Parade! The recent years' Parades have been too far away.

Look forward to your write-up. Concerning your other issue - I just had my clutch redone last month, so I feel your pain. One thing at a time...although an extended repair like that IS a perfect time to yank out the seats and redye.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:44 PM
old man neri
Drifting

I think this depends on the car. Some cars came with 'partial leather' and some had 'full leather'. At least this is what I gathered from reading through a bunch of pelican threads. I think there is a test you can do by heating up a pin with a lighter and ***** the material in question. If it is leather the needle should not go through. If it is 'leatherette' the pin should melt through. Of course this is a destructive test so best to do it in an inconspicuous spot

As far as colour matching goes. I think you may only have to send in a sample if it is a colour that is not on record or if you are only doing part of the seat and don't want different shades. I doubt the seats are the original colour as 20 some years of sun and wear has worked away at it. My guess is that you may end up with seats that are a different shade than the door cards. I am sure the people at Leatherique can clarify this. I notice on my car that the top of the rear seats, which are always exposed to the sun, is almost a pink where as the bottom of the door cards, which hardly ever see daylight, are still a deep red.

Just so you all know I have zero first hand experience with any of this. All this is information I have gathered from reading various threads both on here and on pelican.

Cheers!
Old 02-14-2008, 10:32 AM
jpyles
Instructor

Bump, in the hopes someone has redyed linen and can offer some more advice.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:54 PM
Scott Lenger
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been considering the Leatherique to re-dye my Linen seats. I have a friend that used Leatherique on his F car with very good results and I discussed the process with the folks from Leatherique and it sounds like it should be reasonably easy process. I will dye the entire seating surface to get it to match but plan to wait until warm weather as you need to keep the seats warm during the process.

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience with redyeing Linen leather?