Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Which Exhaust ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 07:58 PM
PDACPA
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Post Which Exhaust ?

I want to upgrade my 89 911 Carrera Coupe from the single outlet stock exhaust to a dual outlet exhaust. I think I can do this without upgrading the header, just the muffler. Is this correct?

I would like a little more aggressive sound (and look from the pipes sticking out) but I do not want it to sound very loud as to be annoying.

Any suggestions and where to get them?

Thanks
Old 04-04-2002, 09:07 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi:

I would suggest using a Monty dual-outlet muffler. These are stainless-steel items that are very well made. They also have a reasonable sound level that is not too intrusive at cruise speeds, too.

I'd suggest the 3" outlet one and you will need to modify the right side of the rear valance to accomodate the right side outlet.
Old 04-05-2002, 04:23 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
A lot of people in my area are partial to B&B. I had a full header and muffler setup from them on my SC for six years...it was a bit too loud.

Lately, they (B&B) tout that they've had a "redesign" of their system, if this is so...maybe it's not so darned loud!?? I hope so, because I like their product for the most part.

As Steve W. mentioned, resonance at cruising speed is another area of concern. It was almost impossible to hold a conversation on a mobile phone or for that matter, with the person in the passenger seat - at around 65 MPH. The resonance in the interior was almost unbearable!

The car sounded awesome at idle...and when kicking it in the butt, although the locals didn't like the sound level under hard acceleration.

I wasn't the only person to report this issue. Everyone who had a B&B setup in my area seemed to have the same complaint.

Don't get me wrong, the HP increase, the good looks and quality craftsmanship that was put into my B&B setup was impressive. The sound quality just needed a little work.

I know of two people to date that actually plug up one side of their dual outlet B&B setup...and it sounds pretty nice. One guy has a 400HP 930 - he says there's not really a difference in power when he unplugs the other side for Autocrosses and such.

So, just thought I'd put in my two-cents worth in regards to exhaust options. There's also GHL, Fabspeed and Mille Miglia to consider, I've heard mostly good things about all of them.

I currently run a Fabspeed setup on my C2, I really like it and get a lot of compliments on the sound. I've got to say, I feel that Joe Fabiani has one of the better looking tips out there - aesthetics is also very important to me when talking exhaust.
Old 04-05-2002, 03:55 PM
Hugh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My advice is to stay way away from B&B if you're concerned about the exhaust being too load. I have a dual outlet B&B muffler on my stock headers(minus cat, of course) and it is WAY too loud. Sometimes I like it, but most of the time it's a nuisance.

I've heard great things about Monty, GHL and Dansk mufflers. Personally, when I get another dual outlet muffler it's going to be a Dansk, and I'm going to get headers too. The reason? Because the Dansk is stamped metal in the OEM shape, rather than someone's funky welding project, which all of the others seem to be. My B&B had to be teased into sitting straight and mating up properly, and I've heard the same about some of the other non-Dansk.

Happy Hunting,
Old 04-05-2002, 04:03 PM
PDACPA
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
What size tips is everyone using 3" or 4"?

Steve suggested 3".

Again, asthetics and aggresive look matter but I dont want it to look like these rice burner kids with a pair of huge gaping holes.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-05-2002, 04:14 PM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

You've got mail, a pic of my 911 with B & B dual tips.

Quick Reply: Which Exhaust ?