Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Tow bar?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 02:35 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tow bar?

I'm thinking of towing my '77 on family vacations when our destinations are near Tail of the Dragon, Road Atlanta, Talladega, etc.

If anybody has found the easiest way to attach a scissors tow bar I would like your advice. Hoping not to cause any permanent damage or to remove the bumper unless that is easier than it looks. Bumper removal on my '59 Mercedes roadster was simple back in the day, but there were no light mounted in it.

Thanks in advance... also, I wonder if it would be legal to to a tire trailer behind a Porsche that's being towed. :-D
Old 02-08-2008, 07:32 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LaughaC, I wouldn't do what you are planning. The drive line of the transmission may be such that level 4 wheel towing will harm the guts of it. I know many cars cannot be towed due to that problem. Guys with more knowledge than me can perhaps give you more info from their experiences since I've only heard that it's not good for the tranny. I think that's why so many guys have trailers and tow vehicles. Even using a tow dolly like those from U-hauls, rear wheels will still be moving the inaards of the tranny. Besides that, how will you hook a tow bar or other towing apparatus to the front without altering the front bumper area?
Old 02-08-2008, 08:24 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tow it backwards, lift the rear wheels onto the dolly. Steering lock will keep it straight but tie the steering wheel off anyway. If needed have a set of 'tow' tyres and wheels just for the front.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:42 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I think this is basically a bad idea.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:49 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I think this is basically a bad idea.
Which bit?
Old 02-09-2008, 12:21 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

All of it. I would not tow my 911 with a bar and all wheels on the ground, or on 2 wheels with two on a dolly. A 911 is definitely not designed for this.Harm to the car will be waiting to pounce. Buy a used flatbead trailer for $1000-1500 with two axles and electric brakes, and call it a day.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:35 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

You're definately right about the trailer idea, however I don't think there has ever been a car that was 'designed' to be towed. So in that respect I don't think a 911 is any different to any other car.

Normal towing rules would apply, drive wheels up, free wheeling wheels down. Can't really see any mechanical reasons for "harm to the car..". As long as everything is secured.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:21 AM
jakeflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up the 911s in Denver and a uhaul-dolly and towed it to Dallas with the rear wheels on the ground. We ran 75mph at times. No problems and it towed nicely. Tranny not a problem. However, a trailer with brakes is a whole bunch safer. If a cv joint wants to have a problem, you are not in the car to hear it before it lets loose and destroys half of your car. Taking a car LA to Dallas and am going to use a uhaul trailer, with brakes.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:12 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Reminds me of the story of a guy that towed his car with a tow bar. Except he accidentally left it in first. Apparently there wasn't much left of his car by the time he made his first rest stop.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I just cringe at the thought of a 911 being "drug" behind a car. As mentioned above, if you're not in there, you don't know if something is wrong until the damage is done. Towing with bars or on dollies is fine for '70's Chevelles, but not for 911's, at least one that you care about.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:44 AM
BHMSC
Instructor

Default I'm with Frank on this ---

I'd like to see a technical, as opposed to aesthetic or emotional (which I do understand) explanation of why a 911 shouldn't be towed backwards using a tow dolly - Steering locked straight ahead, front wheels spinning backwards. Sure, it would look a little funky but I can't see why it wouldn't work just fine. For what it's worth, back in the day, I flat-towed my old 356 Speedster from Florida to Texas and from Texas to Maryland without any noticeable ill effects.

I considered the 911 on a tow dolly behind the minivan for DEs but chose to build a track trailer instead. Of course, 911s weren't "designed" to tow trailers but lots of people do it with no ill effects. When it comes right down to it, 911s weren't designed to be towed on trailers either.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:01 PM
Oldtee
Pro

This works but put it on the other way. I did it this way for a 5 mile trip. Anything more may damage the transmission.
Attached Images   
Old 02-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BHMSC
I'd like to see a technical, as opposed to aesthetic or emotional (which I do understand) explanation of why a 911 shouldn't be towed backwards using a tow dolly - Steering locked straight ahead, front wheels spinning backwards. Sure, it would look a little funky but I can't see why it wouldn't work just fine. For what it's worth, back in the day, I flat-towed my old 356 Speedster from Florida to Texas and from Texas to Maryland without any noticeable ill effects.

I considered the 911 on a tow dolly behind the minivan for DEs but chose to build a track trailer instead. Of course, 911s weren't "designed" to tow trailers but lots of people do it with no ill effects. When it comes right down to it, 911s weren't designed to be towed on trailers either.
The fact I don't know what is going on with my 24 year old car being towed behind me is all the technical info I need.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:19 PM
DanS911
Pro

I don't know guys I have been flat towing 911s for years and I know guys who have done it for decades before me. I bought my rig from a guy who had it made for his '69 911. He towed it all over the states to various PCA Parades with no problems.
I have tabs welded to the torsion bar covers and a bar that fits between them. So far I have been able to remember to put it in neutral every time. I use very high quality gear oil which I assume is sloshing around in there just fine. As I said coming up on ten years and no problems.
Rides behind me at highway speeds like a dream.

Quick Reply: Tow bar?