Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

track trailer hitch

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 06:00 PM
cscholz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default track trailer hitch

I'm in the market for my first Porsche - looking for a 87-88 Carrera 3.2. I've found lots of material on what to look for and I'm excited. One question I haven't been able to answer yet: I intend to take the car to the track and I'm used to carrying tools and track tires (been doing DEs for many years with the BMW CCA). I have no interest in a tow vehicle and car trailer. Given the limited interior space of a 911, I want to pull a small tire/tool trailer. I've seen other 911s doing this.

What kind of hitch are people using for this purpose? I can't seem to find anything on the web that will fit this year 911.

Thanks much,
Carl
Old 02-07-2008, 06:12 PM
racer
Drifting

The few I have seen over the years have been home made fabrications. Some mounting to the rear bumper, some to the lower shock bolt areas. The bumber solution is not ideal because of the bumpers design is to absorb impact and NOT be pulled out upon.

You might also consider the "jack olson" rooftop approach to tire toting vs a trailer.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:24 PM
cscholz
Intermediate

I've seen the roofrack/platform method of hauling tires. Aside from the mild amusement I got from that image - I noticed that the time to load/unload the tires from their individual mounts on the platform seemed painful. Also, I'd still have to pack tools, parts, jack, etc in the car somewhere. The ease of just slapping on the trailer seems worth it.

I'd love to see someone's homemade solution that was semi-elegant: bolts in and/or has a receiver for the ball so it's not sticking out the back when the trailer isn't needed.

Carl
Old 02-07-2008, 06:39 PM
AndrewM
Pro

Did you try a search? I remember seeing this thread before. Try the 928 forum search also.
Drew
Also looking for my 1st track car.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:28 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cscholz
I'm in the market for my first Porsche - looking for a 87-88 Carrera 3.2. I've found lots of material on what to look for and I'm excited. One question I haven't been able to answer yet: I intend to take the car to the track and I'm used to carrying tools and track tires (been doing DEs for many years with the BMW CCA). I have no interest in a tow vehicle and car trailer. Given the limited interior space of a 911, I want to pull a small tire/tool trailer. I've seen other 911s doing this.

What kind of hitch are people using for this purpose? I can't seem to find anything on the web that will fit this year 911.

Thanks much,
Carl
I had a custom bumper hitch made for my car about 6 years ago. I tow a 4x4 trailer that holds tools, tires and other small stuff. About two years ago, I replaced the rear bumper shocks with the solid euro crush tubes mostly for weight savings, but also to prevent pulling on the bumper shocks.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:58 PM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

This was one that was in the classifieds on pelican. It sold quickly but I just wanted to show you they do exist.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:25 PM
cscholz
Intermediate

The one in the ad at Pelican is perfect. Simple and yet it looks like it works. I've contacted the seller to see if he has more details on where it was made.

Thanks for the lead.

Carl
Old 02-12-2008, 09:20 AM
BHMSC
Instructor

Default Here's what I did ---

Unfortunately, there's nothing "off the shelf" for our cars. The one on Pelican looks like one of the best I've seen.

I'm not sure about the later cars but, on the SCs, the only thing holding the bumper to the shocks is two little 10 mm bolts on each side so the bumper is pretty much worthless for attaching anything.

The hitch I made for my SC is inside the rear bumper with a 1 ¼" receiver hidden behind the license plate. The receiver is welded to 1" square tubing that runs between the bumper shocks. The only alterations to the car were welding up the bumper shocks to simulate the non-compressible Euro ones and cutting a 1 ¼" square hole in the bumper behind the license plate.

The only problem I've run into so far is the difficulty of reaching up between the muffler and the rear valence to install and remove the pin for the ballmount (not much fun when the muffler is hot) but I guess that's the price I pay for not wanting anything to show when it's not being used.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:23 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Take a look at this

http://www.willwoodsystem.com/products.htm
Old 02-12-2008, 10:49 PM
cscholz
Intermediate

The willwoodsystem hitches are very nice, but they don't offer one for the 3.2 Carrera. Theirs seems to start with the '95 models and go newer from there.

Carl
Old 02-13-2008, 08:52 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
Rennlist Member

"NOW AVAILABLE: Hidden receiver for Porsche 911 ('74 - '89)"

Towards bottom of home page
Old 02-13-2008, 01:46 PM
cscholz
Intermediate

Ah, now I see it. Thanks. I was looking on the products page and the hitch page. I actually sent an email to Will yesterday to see if he did have something for the earlier cars. Haven't heard back from him yet.

It appears that the pricing on that page is blank (I just see an empty table). Any idea what these cost?

Carl
Old 02-13-2008, 02:40 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
Rennlist Member

"Blank" check perhaps?

Seriously I don't know the pricing but the ones I have seen on 986's and 996's look very well made.

Perhaps a post on the Racing and DE forum?

Quick Reply: track trailer hitch