Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1988 Carrera - Brake Light problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 08:58 PM
DRACO A5OG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 84_Carrera
Ok, so next question, somewhat related...

I have the 2-pole, narrow-connectors on my '84. The Pelican replacement switches are 2-pole, WIDE connector pattern, and they mention, "an adapter may be required". Of course, they don't seem to list one.

So, does anyone know of one? I have gently removed the spades / terminals from the white plastic connectors, and temporarily put them on the switches with black tape around them to prevent inadvertent shorts. I will be putting Draco's relay kit on this weekend & figured I'd ask for those just replacing their switches.
Hey Fred,

No need to modify anything or additions, just use my Arc Suppressor and it just plugs right in. If you go back to OEM, simply make 3 more 6" wires with male & female 1/4" spades like the one enclosed in my Arc Supressor Kit. For the 3 additional wires for OEM, I would put some heat shrink to the female spades that connect to the BLS's or crimp Female Spades with Plastic Protectors found at any electric supply store.

If you can please post your results after installation of the Arc Suppressor.

Jim
Old 05-28-2008, 11:06 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Ok, so FOR THE RECORD...

1) No issues using the THREE prong / narrow-spacing switches (from Pelican, etc.) on a Carrera that had the TWO-prong narrow-spacing switches installed;

2) If you DO go with the TWO-prong WIDE-spacing switches, you can slice the white plastic connector in two to accomodate it & keep it "looking" stock

3) It's a moot point if you're going as far as installing a relay like the ones these guys use / make / provide, basically.

Does that about cover it?

Does anyone KNOW what the 3rd prong is supposed to be for? Sal, does your later-years diagrams indicate purpose?

Neat thread guys.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:49 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Fred,
Your car is an 84 with 2 prongs harnessIt needs 2 prongs switches. Why get 3 prongs? Just get the 2 prongs one and be done with it. You don't even need adapters.

Last edited by rnln; 05-29-2008 at 03:14 AM.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:04 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

The 2 prong switches Pelican (& others I saw) were the WIDE spacing - the connector as I had it would not work at all without doing what was done in the link above - slicing the connector in half. It LOOKS like the 3-prong switches are the same spacing as the older NARROW 2 prong ones, in my case.

That's all.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:27 AM
DRACO A5OG
Racer

Hey Fred,

You must use the 2 pronged only.

Yes, indeed the Pelican one is too wide but there is no need to cut the white harnesses in half, simply use the Arc Suppressor.

Quick Reply: 1988 Carrera - Brake Light problem