Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Transmission is in love with my gears, it wont let go!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 10:48 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission is in love with my gears, it wont let go!

So first of all thanks to Dan (Edgy01) for confirming that my valves are not too noisy anymore, it helps me sleep at night . On another note, I have 2 questions:

1. When shifting gears (usually happens on 1,2, or 3) the transmission lately has not wanted to let go of the gear and I have been needing to use more force to get it out. Its not THAT bad at all, but you can feel that its holding on. What is this typically a sign of? Also since we know my car never has "typical" problems but just all the weird things, I should say that when my car is in neutral with no pedals pushed down, the tranny rattles pretty loudly (just thought this would be pertinent info). Other than that she used to be a little rough in the shifting until the tranny got warm but now even when the car is at operating temp I get a little roughness going into gears, but no loud sounds. I am just scared because of Pete's "It costs HOW much?" post.

2. My door used to click once in a while but now every bump in the road makes the window rattle inside the door. I am going to open the door panel and see whats going on but any idea what I should be looking for? Is this a common thing?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!
Old 01-30-2008, 11:56 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Oshin,

You might want to take a look at the replies to my post "Refuses to go in any gear." Does your problem sound anything like mine?

Looks like a friend and I might be rebuilding my clutch Or my mechanic might be a little richer.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:06 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Nope, mine is the opposite. I have the usual "pop it into third then into first" symptoms, but I have always had that. My car goes INTO gear just fine, just when I shift from 1-2 or 2-3 or 3-4 or 4-5 it takes more force every 5% of shifts.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:53 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 59 Posts

Has the weather gotten colder where you are? When it gets cold out here it becomes a totally different car. Much different feel. Just a thought.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:26 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Oshin: Did the problem start after a recent trans oil change?
Old 02-01-2008, 06:34 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Weather has been the same, pretty cold, but not blistering. All I did was check the tranny fluid level, it was perfect, so I didnt change the oil. If a gear gets "stuck" and then I eventually get to a stop sign, the car shifts fine into every gear when I am standing still.

Quick Reply: Transmission is in love with my gears, it wont let go!